Dead B190

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by ChasingRain »

I'm in the process of doing the computer search too. These things seem to be in very, very short supply. I've tried 3 different sources, and so far no one has been able to find one. So far, the only route I've found to go is to pull it out and send it off to be rebuilt, which isn't an option, since I'm on the road for another month. If anyone finds a stockpile of these puppies, let me know.

94 must have been a bad year for computers
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

So far I haven't gotten any useful replies over on FTE about this issue. One person replied with a crackpot theory that Ford wanted to replace his good, factory PCM with one that was "programmed to fail". Apparently he got a letter stating the new PCM would reduce emissions and it was a free replacement.

The first problem with his theory is that he has a '91 van, and the letter he got stated that it only applied to '91 and '92 models. Obviously there are several other problems with that theory that I won't bother with.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I rec'd the rebuilt part I ordered from Bill Jenkins@ Team Ford but it had a different PT# on it than the F4TZ.....number. The part came from an outfit called AutoComp Technologies. I did an internet search and I called them directly. They assured me that the part is the same as the original. (in fact they crossed it to the original F4TF....number) They told me the reason they are rare is that the computer for the model was only manufdactured for the '94 year. The PCM is available through them for those of you who still have the problem. I ended up paying $398 plus shipping through Team Ford but I'll get back a core charge refund of $50. Autocomp told me that they sell them for $250 to $350 depending. I haven't installed it yet and will update those interested when I'm hopefully up and running. (I'm considering keeping my old core for rebuilding if I ever need it.) The info on the firm is Autocomp, Inc ... 8516 North FWY, Houston TX 77037-2809. PH# 1-888-217-4072....Internet www.autocompdirect.com/ Thanks for your help ya'll. Baggydew
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Good to hear. I hope the part works for you! Please keep us posted.

baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I installed the re-man PCM this afternoon and took the 190 for a short spin. Smooth as silk so far. This '94 has been coughing and sputtering for over a year and it finally seems to be fixed! yeah! Can't wait to pack it up and take it on a trip. Bill Jenkins at "Team Ford" ( a middleman twice removed from the supplier) helped in locating the part but I had to contact him several times for feedback and had trouble getting calls retrurned. (no tracking data, no final cost estimates) When the part finally arrived there was NO paperwork with it, no invoice, nothing. In subsequent phone calls, he finally E-mailed me the invoice) Even after the part arrived I had nothing showing the final cost...just oral estimates. There was a tiny label under a different PT# on the PCM for AutoComp mentioned on my last post. I talked to them and, as mentioned, they confirmed that they are a reliable supplier for these things and the person I talked with seemed to be aware of this particular poroblem. He told me they re-man, re-program some of these things and get some from other labs who do. In any case, this is the cheapest reliable source I've found.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Sounds good. For what it's worth, I've had mostly good experiences dealing with Bill (of course, I'm dealing with relatively normal parts for my Mercury Cougar rather than rare ECMs). But you're right - he does tend to tell me the price of the part but not the shipping cost, probably because he doesn't know until they box it for shipment. The invoice is usually taped to the outside of the box.

baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I was glad you had Bill Jenkins as a contact and passed to info on to us. He did right by me and I'm finally up and running. Until I found this site, I was at a loss as to how to find one of these rare breeds. However un-orthodox the the purchase was to me, (passing credit card info over the phone and waiting for, or having to call back to get status) I felt on the right track all along with Bill. He came off as a busy guy and those types are the ones that get the job done. I'm a happy camper.
Denco
Weekend Camper

yikes mines a 94

Post by Denco »

well not to hex myself but i wish i did not read all this!!
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Your rig has a new one...
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Alaskan wrote:Your rig has a new one...
As is it was replaced? or it has the newer rev/model that does not seem to fail?

Hey it stopped raining and the heat it soaring 90 plus - heading to the lake today for the first time!! Boats boats boats!
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Re: Dead B190

Post by Alaskan »

Denco... somehow I missed this , quite some time ago !

Your rig had sat at Frontier Ford when the owner decided he'd rather find it a new owner rather than invest in a new computer, so you can imagine what the price quote musta been, therefore the rig went to the fellow that you got it from (mechanic), and he replaced the computer with a rebuilt I believe.

BTW......there are several places to send these boards to to correct a problem with them, rather than getting bent over big-time
buying a new one.... :roll: