Grr...coolant leak

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Grr...coolant leak

Post by skater »

Well, yesterday I was working in the yard and I noticed some spots under the camper. I crawled under and looked - sure enough, a coolant leak. I wasn't able to find the leak (I only looked for a minute), but since some of it is on the oil pan I'm a little worried it might be a head gasket. Arrggh!

Last night I bought a set of shop manuals for it off eBay.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
liferiders
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Grr...coolant leak

Post by liferiders »

Skater, what was it finally? and what did you do about it after that.

Today I took my b190 for its first shakedown trip for around 500 miles. During the trip I stopped for a break after around 200 miles and noticed a small puddle of coolant under the van. I could see a tiny stream of coolant leaking from the van as well. But it stopped after a while. I refilled the coolant and drove for another 300 miles and didnt have any problems. Wonder what was that all about?
"A Good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving"
“Don’t measure a man’s wealth by the size of his bank account, but instead look at the distance he travelled”
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Grr...coolant leak

Post by skater »

liferiders wrote:Skater, what was it finally? and what did you do about it after that.

Today I took my b190 for its first shakedown trip for around 500 miles. During the trip I stopped for a break after around 200 miles and noticed a small puddle of coolant under the van. I could see a tiny stream of coolant leaking from the van as well. But it stopped after a while. I refilled the coolant and drove for another 300 miles and didnt have any problems. Wonder what was that all about?
Turned out not to be an issue. Mine didn't have a coolant recovery bottle - it just dripped the excess on the ground. That must have been what I found, because every time I checked the coolant after that I never had a problem with it.

In your case, I'd suspect a hose is leaking - when it gets hot, a pinhole opens up and coolant comes out, then as it cools down it reseals. I saw this on one of my old cars once - it was a pretty neat sight to watch.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit