Transmission oil cooler

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
gwbaker

Transmission oil cooler

Post by gwbaker »

My 1993 B190 has an extra tranny oil cooler attached to the condenser up front. Wondering if this is stock or was it added later. If it's not stock, I would like to remove it as it looks like a crappy install. (zip tie through the condenser) I've never liked those things as they like to eat their way through the radiator. Also, have any of you had tranny cooling issues with the stock system? Thanks,

Greg
1993 B190, soon to get a rear locker and lift kit for some off road camping
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Not stock...

The OEM cooler is built into the base of the radiator on these vans

Those add-on coolers, sooner or later, result in trans fluid leaks due to the cutting of the OEM steel lines and rubber hose connections being added (I've seen them pop off) to direct trans fluid to the aftermarket cooler

I'm not aware of any trans cooling issues with these vans. The Owners Manual has a section related to towing and all the Airstream B190 came with the trailer towing package.

If I were to change anything there, I would increase the trans fluid capacity with a deep pan rather than cutting in a cooler like that
gwbaker

Post by gwbaker »

Thanks Alaskan. I didn't think it looked stock. I'm getting that thing out of there as it is already leaking out of the rubber fittings that they spliced in there. Thanks again,

Greg
1993 B190, soon to get a rear locker and lift kit for some off road camping
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Greg....

If they cut the original steel lines that come from the transmission forward to do the installation, which is usually the way it works, you have 2 choices to fix that correctly...

Buy two new lines from Ford or have the lines flared and install a brass connector where that cut was made.....if the gap there is too large, a short section in new steel tubing would be required with a variety of flare fittings to accomplish that

Don't put a piece of rubber hose in as a repair