Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

FAQs on the Ford van

Post by skater »

What are the VIN engine codes?

The eighth digit of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) indicates the engine that was installed into the vehicle at the factory. The table below has some VIN codes for Ford vans from the late 80s through 2000. Note only four of these engines (the 460 (G), the 351 (H & R), and the V10 (S)) are known to be included in the Airstream B190s; the rest are here for reference. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list.
  • C: 7.3 L/444 cu in; 8 cylinders; Diesel
  • F: 7.3 L/444 cu in; 8 cylinders; Diesel
  • G: 7.5 L/460 cu in; 8 cylinders; Gas (very common in B190s)
  • H: 5.8 L/351 cu in; 8 cylinders; Gas (also used in B190s)
  • M: 7.3 L/444 cu in; 8 cylinders; Diesel
  • N: 5.0 L/302 cu in; 8 cylinders; Gas
  • R: 5.8 L/351 cu in; 8 cylinders; Gas (also used in B190s)
  • S: 6.8 L/415 cu in; 10 cylinders; Gas (replaced the 460 in B190s)
  • Y: 4.9 L/300 cu in; 6 cylinders; Gas
  • Z: 6.8 L/ 415 cu in; 10 cylinders; Gas
For more information about VIN codes, see Facts about VINs.

To decode your Ford vehicle's VIN, see the Ford VIN Decoder.

What are the transmission codes?

The transmission codes, unlike the engine codes, are not found in the VIN. However, they are available in a plate on the door. Here are some Ford transmissions from that era. It's likely most B190s used the E4OD.
  • C - Manual 5-speed with close ratio
  • E - E4OD - 4 speed automatic with overdrive
  • G - C6 Automatic
  • M - Manual 5-speed Overdrive
  • U - 4R70W - 4 speed automatic with overdrive
  • W - 5 speed H.D. overdrive
Why is it called F53? Shouldn't it be F350 or E350?

The F53 code refers to the motorhome cutaway chassis our B190s are based on. The vehicle has badges on it indicating it's an Econoline 350, so the way to think of it would be that the F53 is a subset of the Econoline 350 model.

When I need parts for the engine/transmission, what do I tell them I have?

This can be a tough one. The drivetrain in our campers is a standard Ford engine and transmission, and normal engine modifications (intakes, headers, exhausts, etc.) should apply to our engines just like they would any other E350 with the same engine. So, I just tell shops "Econoline 350 with whatever engine" (and I watch to make sure they have a 10'+ garage door).

Sometimes when you're shopping for parts online, you'll see various models, such as Econoline 350, Super Wagon, Club Wagon, and so on. I have tried a couple different options on different sites, and I haven't noticed any difference in what is offered based on that.

Where is my chassis VIN?

As in most cars and trucks, the chassis VIN is located in the windshield on the driver's side. You use this VIN for registration, insurance, and the like. It starts with "1F" for Ford products.

Do not confuse it with the Airstream VIN that is mounted under the hood. That number is only useful for Airstream-related functions. The Airstream VIN starts with "1B9".