A sad goodbye

Forum announcements
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

Re: A sad goodbye

Post by VT964x4 »

As we have all said, thank you for posting the images and offering more information as you learn it. So many good reminders are being shared and this is the time of year when we all tend to use our vans. Interesting point about the big top actually being helpful as it hit first. I am amazed there was not more damage to it. Wishing everyone a safe summer.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Minie

We are all glad you survived this. And, thanks for sharing what you know about cause of the accident. Hope you find a way to do your trip.

Phil Planck
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Minnie, that is a heartbreaking story, I'm glad to hear that everyone is safe.

Thank you for offering information to help all of us avoid the chances of the same happening to our vans.

When I bought my van two years ago, I had several scary experiences with poor stability driving from Tennessee to my home in Arizona. I immediately replaced the tires, shocks and eventually added the rear stabilizer bar. The shocks helped, but the addition of the stabilizer bar was by far the factor that improved the handling the most.

Can you tell us if you had the bar installed? If so, I will start researching tires with higher weight ratings, steering dampers etc.

Thank you for all of you posts. You may have prevented this from happening to another family.

Rick
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper

Post by Minniemouse »

Thank you to all of you who have posted!! I am printing out your message and will try to get my husband to give me more info.
With some of the info I have read it does seem that the presence of the big trucks on both sides of me, the speed, the age of the tires (despite good tred on them), my not knowing how to handle a large vehicle in stress. My husband drove many large vehicles as a Navy Seabee. We are waiting for an appraisal from the insurance company. The RV has to be moved to Atlanta. We have a possibility to purchase another B190 from a member! We do hope to make our trip someday!!
Minnie Mouse
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by mtnmanb »

Yikes! Glad you both are ok. I had scary sway issues with mine in the beginning until I put the Safe-T sway shock on the front and learned the tire pressure mantra.

I actually bought the new Hellwig anti sway bar for the rear just before mine burnt up, so I never had a chance to install it. If anyone needs one for cheap, please let me know. I also have the table, pedestal, and new curtains to post up as well.

Another B190 down this year. Stay safe!

B
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper

Post by Minniemouse »

I heard about your fire. Thanks for your message.
We did not take the table, & pedestal, so they are fine if any one is interested. Our year is 1993.
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper

Post by Minniemouse »

I have been asked over & over for the date codes and brand on the tires from our RV when we had this accident.
Today while cleaning the remainder of the items from our RV, I came across the Owners Guide that came with our camper when we bought it in on 9-28-2007. I documented the a maintenance we did a few days later. I do not know why these numbers are recorded, but they may be significant. I wrote : Tires 55F,80R. Does this mean anything to anyone?
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Here is how to locate a date code and then determine from it the manufacturer date

Courtesy of Tire Rack...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... 02035049:s