Smoothing sailing until San Francisco... Need advice!

Road stories, questions about driving the B190, lessons learned
Travelisaverb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Smoothing sailing until San Francisco... Need advice!

Post by Travelisaverb »

I have a 1995. Been full timing for 2 months. Logged 6,000 miles though the Midwest to Oregon down the 101 to CA, into Reno/Lake Tahoe, Burning Man and then to the Bay Area, where I'm currently hanging out in the very affordable Skyline park in Napa.

Until now only a few hiccups (transmission overheated and spewed fluid on the playa)... But now I'm trying to figure out the safest and cheapest way to stay in the Bay Area and explore for a few weeks. What I would like to do is find a place to park the RV and use public transportation, and not fear that my dog is going to roast to death, or that my stuff is at risk. A few RVers put the fear in me about parking my van on the street ( even in nice areas ) and in municipal lots. Telling about multiple car and RV breakins.

Hotels/motels and RV parks are just sooooooo $$$$$$! Are there any safe areas or parking lots with security to leave my van while I'm away? A cooler microclimate area so I can leave my dog in the RV? God forbid someone tries to steal my stuff AND my dog, I'd die!

Should I find a place to store the van for a few weeks and just rent a room? Looking recommendations for keeping the RV secure in the Bay Area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: Smoothing sailing until San Francisco... Need advice!

Post by nvestysly »

Consider parking at an office complex or shopping center. Churches might be good place to park for a day at a time. Find a parking lot with afternoon shade and your dog will probably be okay - with the upper windows open and the Fantastic Vent on low speed.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Lots of RV parking restrictions in SF now and more areas coming. Maybe try airbnb or another room rental site that has off street parking although that may be tough to find. Closest reasonable camping is in Marin at 25 a night. Good luck and welcome to the golden state!

Cliff
Travelisaverb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by Travelisaverb »

Just wanted to post an update.

I found the Potrero Hill neighborhood is VERY easy to park in, IF you arrive before 7am, or after 6pm. There are a lot of rundown campers parked in the area, and you have to note which streets allow 24 hour parking, and note the street sweeping schedule. There is a police station at 16th and DeHaro, and (I spent 5 days parked in the same spot at 16th and Kansas, only 2 blocks away.) There is a Starbucks, Whole Foods, a World Gym (for when I need a shower). There are lots of transportation options, and I found it's very central for free parking, and it feels safe.
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

Sounds like you found a good solution to your issue. Once you're in town it makes sense to drive around, ask questions and a solution presents itself.

How did you handle your dog when you were away from the van? What do you mean by lots of rundown campers parked in the area - had other campers found the same area and were using it for day parking?

The beauty of a class B is it fits in most parking spots and even though it's an RV it doesn't look unusual to point that it draws attention. The same cannot be said for our 29 ft. Airstream trailer towed by a 3/4 ton Suburban.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate