RV'ing in New Zealand

Road stories, questions about driving the B190, lessons learned
MichaelC

RV'ing in New Zealand

Post by MichaelC »

Hello, Enthusiasts!
Three of my most interesting type-B coach adventures have been across the Pacific Ocean, in the island nation of New Zealand. As it happens, New Zealanders are >>very enthusiastic<< RV travelers, owning some three times more RVs "per capita" than either Americans or Canadians. That means that campgrounds (what they call "holiday parks") are plentiful, and cost quite a bit less to stay in -- about 1/2 typical USA or Canadian rates.
Our B190 experiences transfer well to their type-B motorhomes, most of which are built on Ford, Mercedes or Fiat chassis. Yes, they are right-hand drive, but I had only two minor problems: the turn signal and light / windshield-wiper arms were on the opposite sides of the steering wheel, and I kept walking to the left-hand door after I paid for my fuel purchases. I "covered up" for the latter problem by leaving my road atlas on the passenger seat. Pick up the atlas, get my bearings, put the atlas back on the seat, get back in the driver's door and head out. There! Nobody thought I was a stupid tourist!
Most of all, the New Zealand Motor Caravan Association (NZMCA) is a great resource for RV travelers. Numerous "Area Rallies" and RV events, and tens of thousands of members who you can ask for information when you're staying at a holiday park, or help if you're lost or disabled on the road.
I know, it takes a 15-hour flight to get there. But believe me, a B190 Enthusiast can have a fantastic and cost-effective adventure (I spent $3189 total for 12 days in April 2004) in New Zealand.

"Happy Cybercamping!"
Michael Canode
NZMCA #19250 / F13059S
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks Micheal....ya need to show us pictures

Had a friend that did something similar over 2 separate trips to Australia...it didn't begin as a 2-trip adventure but due to the size of the country he put the rig he bought down there in storage and returned the following year.

When he was finished he sold his RV there
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Sounds great!

Alaskan's comment reminds me of the Capetown-to-Cairo caravan that the WBCCI did back in the 50s or 60s (and is doing again soon). I think the general idea was you buy a camper there, use it for 6 months for the caravan, then sell it in Egypt before coming home. To offset expenses, they were doing the caravan twice, once north, once south, so you'd pair with another couple who was doing the other leg. Fun stuff.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit