Road Story---Yikes!!!

Road stories, questions about driving the B190, lessons learned
Wanderlost
Weekend Camper

Road Story---Yikes!!!

Post by Wanderlost »

Last Oct we became snowbirds. Bought a little place in Yuma AZ and had a wonderful time. We used our B190 as our primary vehicle. Made the trip down w/o any problems. Several day trips during our stay found us on washboard gravel roads that loosened any number of connectors, wires, nuts and the gawd awful clanking of pots & pans. Before our return trip back to Oregon I took the rig in for brake & tire check. Tires somewhat sun checked and I asked the service tech if they'd be good for the trip. He said they would likely be fine but not if we were postponing till the summer heat. Packed the rig up and headed out. Well, the first fill up a Needles revealed the error in my judgement. Guy at the service station said he'd put on the spare till he looked at the other tires, bad, bad bad. While replacing the tires they found the shocks were bent and needed replacing too! It really freaked me out. Glad to get everything fixed. The rest of the trip was pleasently uneventful.

Getting ready to head out for Yuma again in a couple weeks.

Be safe!!
B190 1996
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Wow, that's scary, but I'm glad you got things fixed before you had a problem out on the highway.

One of the quirks with motorhomes is that we generally let them sit, then drive them long distances, so the usual warnings you would get about problems during day-to-day driving are lost.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit