Miles in one day?

Road stories, questions about driving the B190, lessons learned
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Miles in one day?

Post by skater »

How many miles do you travel in one day, roughly?

I shoot for around 300 miles. That works out to 6-7 hours of travel.

When I went to the Outer Banks last August, it was 294 miles, and approximately 7 hours (with stops for gas and food, of course - and as I recall there was a problem at the restaurant where I stopped so I lost some time there).

I'm planning a trip next week that looks to be about 320-340 miles (depending on the route I decide to take), and I'm estimating that will take about the same amount of time.

Looking back, the most I've done in one day while towing was 370 miles, from Alexandria, VA to Dillon, SC, home of the famous South of the Border, where I stayed for the night. That was a long day but I was able to do it because I had that as my goal; coming back on that trip I didn't make it nearly as far the first day.

Note those trips were all while towing a car, so I'm moving more slowly, especially on hills, than I would be solo.

One time, I drove it 600 miles in one day, but I wasn't towing a car. That's not something I intend to repeat, and it only happened because something had delayed my start on that trip one day. (In retrospect, I should've delayed my arrival at my destination one day, too, but I didn't.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by ChasingRain »

Every year I do the haul from the east to Colorado, and it takes me a little over 2 days usually each way- I'm usually on some sort of schedule to be somewhere on either end. I take the approach of starting early, taking breaks when I need them, keeping the speed moderate- usually about 5 under the speed limit if it's above 60, and just going until I'm tired. I also have the advantage of only being 26, so I've still got some "young and stupid" left, but I've knocked off over 800 miles in a day.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

ChasingRain wrote:I also have the advantage of only being 26, so I've still got some "young and stupid" left, but I've knocked off over 800 miles in a day.
You're 26? Cool, I'm 32. I didn't realize I wasn't the youngest B190 owner! :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
StreaminGuy
New User

The Tupelo turnaround

Post by StreaminGuy »

This past Saturday, my wife and I drove (keep in mind I drove, she had her seat reclined and she had her socked feet on the dash) 711 miles round trip from North Georgia to about an hour past Tupelo, Ms to pick up an old car I had bought on the way home from the Hot Rod Powertour. We left that morning about 9:30 or so and reset our GPS. We drove a total of 13 and 12 minutes round trip and were only stopped for 1 hour and 22 minutes during that time. That total stop time included red lights, stop signs, fuel stops, stopping at UHaul in Birm, Al. to rent a trailer, hooking it up, on to Miss. then loading the car and completing the transaction in Mississippi and back home including fuel stops. I had jet lag the next day.

Believe it or not this was better than the "Tampa turnaround that we did when we purchased it when we drove our diesel Jetta down there on a little more than a half tank of fuel and rented a trailer and drove back. That was almost 900 miles round trip in one day.

When we had one of our last B-190 a few years ago, we drove nonstop (ther than fuel) from Georgia to Oklahoma on the way to the Grand Canyon and Route 66 tour we did. I'm 47 and also figured I was the youngest B-190 owner!

G
'99 B190 V-10 "tow vehicle"
'67 Airstream Caravel
Marko Polo
Weekend Camper

Re: Miles in one day?

Post by Marko Polo »

1,082 miles, and I felt every single one of them. 17+ hours.

http://www.distance-cities.com/distance ... memphis-tn
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

A little over 600 on my very first day! Thought I would take my time and shake it down on the way home but that stupid hiccup/surge had me a wee bit flustered. And I'm 41 but act 14 most of the time, like Peter Pan, I refuse to grow up :)
janamar
New User
B190 Year: 1993

Post by janamar »

We drove our 1993 B190 over 800 miles in one day from New Mexico to San Diego for a memorial service. We were in our mid 60s at the time.

Jan
FlyandCamp