Out For A While...

Road stories, questions about driving the B190, lessons learned
MichaelC

Out For A While...

Post by MichaelC »

2 August 2012 -- 20:00 -- At the half-way point of a wide-ranging trip last July & August -- one week recovering a crashed B-17 in Alaska, one week at an FMCA convention in Wisconsin, "Baby Newell II" suffered a rear-differential breakdown, just east of Indianapolis on I-70. $1700 later and three weeks from around now, I'll drive that same route on the way to this month's FMCA convention in Indy. Ironically, the exist I'll have to take to get to the state fairgrounds is just a mile west of where the reakdown happened! "BNII" has basically been static since I got it home, so I'm licking my chops even now to get back on the road.

"Happy Cybercamping!
Michael Canode -- "Baby Newell II" -- 1997 B190, #55 of 110.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Re: Out For A While...

Post by Alaskan »

Just an update....I got an email from Micheal and he is back on the road after a rear gear overhaul....(costly...)

Although this wasn't his problem...

Be sure to have your rear end gear oil checked once in awhile, and take a peek under there on occasion to make sure you don't detect leakage on the rear axle housing...just sayin !

Years ago now when I picked up the 1999 in Florida with only 18,000 miles one thing I immediately noticed was a wee bit of leakage around the pinion...over to the local Ford dealer then put her on the rack and said, yep, it has a damaged pinion seal and we'll fix it under warranty...."if ya just go across the street and have breakfast we'll take care of that ASAP"