Careful with your awnings

Road stories, questions about driving the B190, lessons learned
webscrambler
New User
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

Careful with your awnings

Post by webscrambler »

A couple months ago I took friends to the Lakeland Florida "Sun 'n fun" fly in. (it's the worlds busiest airport for a few days each year)
We parked near the ultra light/experimental aircraft landing strip.....we were feeling pretty smug to be out of the sun..when a gust of wind blew the awning out of the clips on the RV and wrapped it over the top of the van.....
The lesson.....buy the $2 screw into the ground tie downs (and use them) or pay $700+ for another awning.
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Re: Careful with your awnings

Post by mtnmanb »

What are "screw into the ground tie downs"? My RV never came with clips on the side of the RV and the dealer is ordering them. Should I just forego the Van clips and just stake it straight out? I think I'd rather do that, just curious what others do.

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
webscrambler
New User
B190 Year: 1996

Post by webscrambler »

The "screws" are made of heavy wire about 1/4 " thick and about 2" in diameter and about 10" long.... like a loose coil.
Use both the clips on the van and the coil ground screws to be on the safe side.

I use a nylon strap with a ratchet tensioner to connect the awning frame to the ground screws.

hasn't failed yet...probably good until tornado wind speed.
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by mtnmanb »

So you clip the awning to the side of the van while tying down the awning to screws coiled into the ground. Without pics, it's hard to imagine. My van came with an awning, but no side clips on the van. Therefore I'm trying to determine if I need to drill the side clips into the van or just stake down the legs straight up and down into the ground.

Thanks!

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan