New members from central CT

Come in and introduce yourself!
triketwo
New User
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

New members from central CT

Post by triketwo »

Hi, we are new members, although we purchased our 1996 b190 in April 2011. Since then, we have been making it our own with repairs and personal touches, as well as taking as many trips as possible. We have bought new tires and replaced brakes, had the sofa recovered, put a new mattress in the upper bunk, put in a vinyl tile floor, put brass pulls on all the drawers and cabinets, changed all the drawer sliders, tightened almost everything that was loose, made new curtains and new seat cushions and organizer pockets, made a new table top that doesn't need that pole, replaced the bath vent fan, replaced shower with faucet/sprayer combo, replaced driver side mirror (used from junkyard), replaced switches for windows and door locks, repaired roof vent/fan (Fan-tastic Vent sends parts for free!).

Our latest project was to remove the HEHR windows, reseal with new butyl tape (now finished), and replace the rubber glaze bead (thanks to VanDownByTheRiver for the InterstateRVmetals link). The bead just arrived yesterday, so we should be doing that over the next couple days. We are still trying to figure out how to seal between the awning and the fiberglass, as our awning mounts right at the bottom of the kitchen and bunk windows, making the space uneven. That previously had a combination of D-seal weatherstrip and black rubber caulk, so we'd like to do a better job if we can figure out how. Our 12-foot awning is dated 2009, so we know it was replaced, and two unused bracket bolts imply the original was shorter (maybe 8 feet?).

Some things still to do: polish the outside, especially that oxidized top; replace damaged passenger side running board (can't find one anywhere); seal above the windshield, I think where the fiberglass meets the van, not the windshield itself; get back on the road!

Some places we've been: NH, VT, NY, various state parks and national forests; VA - Shenandoah NP; LA - HOG rally in Lafayette, New Orleans, etc.; TN/KY - Land Between the Lakes; Everglades, FL keys; San Antonio, Amistad NRA, Big Bend NP, etc. in TX.

We are triketwo, aka Liz (have sewing machine, would rather travel) and Rob (can I take my garage?). We'll try to post pictures in the gallery soon.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: New members from central CT

Post by skater »

Wow, sounds like you are doing a great job fixing it up. Definitely would like to see some pictures. :) Welcome to the site!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
URStruly
Weekend Camper

Post by URStruly »

On replacing the passenger side running board I don't know what yours looks like. Mine was cracked close to the area between the passenger front door and the forward double door. Everything was ok except the fiberglass had cracked and was weak. I went to Lowe's and bought about 4' x 1 1/2" angle metal. Crawled under the van and ran the angle iron between the running board and the supports. Bolted the angle through the running board with a rounded head bolt. This reinforcement keeps the board from flexing and provides good solid support.urs.
triketwo
New User
B190 Year: 1996

Post by triketwo »

Our running board was damaged by a prior owner, and we are missing the rear wheel flare. It is also cracked just in front of the rear wheel and along the rear step pad, but supports weight OK. If we never find a replacement, we may use your angle iron fix. Every time I find one and call the salvage yard, they tell me they get destroyed by the forklift, yard crew, etc...
We haven't found them new, either.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I was seriously tempted to lose the original running boards altogether and install some aftermarket ones. Never got around to it, but I was tempted. I'm not sure if the original running boards are bolted through the fenders/doors/etc. (and thus would leave holes).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit