New from the East Coast

Come in and introduce yourself!
Cgzito
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

New from the East Coast

Post by Cgzito »

Hey I'm Zito' 32yo, east coast. Proud owner of a 1993 b190. I have been living in this van for 1 year with my Dogo, Galileo. I do a lot of modifications.

I am interested in learning more tricks and secrets to succesfully live full time in this thing. I love advice especially when it saves me time and money. I have already learned a great deal. I am also looking to get involved with the community. The b190 is awesome.

So far I have installed 300 watts (100 x 3)solar panels.
500 amp hour battery bank.
Xantrex 2000 watt inverter with system control panel.
40 amp charge controller
Mt5 solar meter
Dog water bottle and food dish.
Eliminated passenger seat(replaced with dog bed)
Eliminated shower(replaced with table top cabinet batteries and inverter.
Faux fur and african style window panels.
32 inch tv (major reno)
Shortened long cabinet
Door trash box
Back storage container(welded to tire carrier)
Led lights around the coach and bunk.
Usb and 110 receptacle.
New Faucet.
Keyless/remote entry.
Shelf in rear cabinet
Shelves in over head cabinets.

I have also swapped transmission, new brake booster, distributor cap and spark plug cables, repaired generator starter, and various otherties.

Goals:
New driver seat
New Jackknife sofa bed
Automatic Generator Starter
New toilet
Fix coach water pump
Various decorations including fabric cover ups.
Propane electronic switch
Animal sound horn with PA speaker

Any fellow renovators out there? I want to see what you've done and what youre working on. Maybe we can advise each other.

I will show pictures if youre interested in the details but this is my latest accomplishment
Attachments
PSX_20160623_030335_zpsalj7yvqz.jpg
PSX_20160623_030335_zpsalj7yvqz.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 15732 times
PSX_20160623_030230_zpsun7b6tpu.jpg
PSX_20160623_030230_zpsun7b6tpu.jpg (36.56 KiB) Viewed 15735 times
hotone41
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Re: New from the East Coast

Post by hotone41 »

Wow, Chris. Beautiful!! Where are you on east coast? We are in VA. I would love to see in person. My husband wants to get rid of our shower too (but I don't). Your solar set up sounds great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cgzito
Weekend Camper

Post by Cgzito »

Hi! Currently I am in New Hampshire. Getting rid of the shower was a big decision. I ultimately came to two conclusions. I shower at the gym and its a way better showering experience than the tiny cramped space in the back of the van. Also, I have a vision to build an outside shower. The plumbing is in tact and it wouldnt take much to install an outside compartment with a shower head and a hoolah hoop like ring with a curtain that folds down against the side of the van. The curtain could even double as a cover...you know for deep in the woods occassions.

The space it gives me is invaluable.

Also, having had the solar panels for a few months, it is my best investment yet. At the push of a button I can power almost anything, quietly and with out concern for time.

Im all about show and tell. Would like to see your vessel too.
hotone41
Weekend Camper

Post by hotone41 »

We got ours in April. Put in new floor. Repaired kitchen faucet. Put in rear stabilizer bar. We have air lift bags in rear for suspension and are having those replaced currently. The outside shower was our thought as well. I would love to see your remodeled shower area if you can post pic.

Cgzito
Weekend Camper

Post by Cgzito »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

A stabilizer bar and air suspenions sound likes a great idea. Does that help it to sway less? This thing is like driving an elephant!

I have uploaded a lot of pictures to the gallery.
Leigh
Weekend Camper

Post by Leigh »

What brand of Air Bag? I have Airlift in my jeep. I am in Rhode Island, please let me know if you are passing through.
hotone41
Weekend Camper

Post by hotone41 »

Airlift also. Less bounce. Still top heavy :)

Cgzito
Weekend Camper

Post by Cgzito »

How is your steering wheel? Do you have to turn it a full 180 degrees before it turns?
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Go for the front and rear Hellwig sway bars. It makes the beast easier to handle. See the sway bar posts. Also oversize tires and heavy duty Bilstein shocks.
Cgzito
Weekend Camper

Post by Cgzito »

I know its been a long while since I posted on here. I went fully off grid and just co tinued renovating and remaking the b190. So I am at the point where I cant find anything wrong mechanically or functionally with my awesome b190 and I am ready to sell it. Thing is I don't know how to value it. Any one got an idea of what I should ask for a excellent condition upgraded airstream?
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Cgzito,
If you have time, please, post about some of your favorite modifications that helped you live in your B190. We'd love to see your ideas.

Regarding sales value of your B190, I suggest that you go to ebay.com and search on Airstream B190 then filter to show only the "completed" listing. The listings that closed with a sale obviously had a buying willing to pay that price for that B190 at its condition. The listings that closed without selling, show you the limits of what those ebay users were willing to pay even if the buyer didn't agree to sell. That should give you a pretty good feel for what the present market value is.

Just my guess, I'd say a '93 B190 in very good condition should sell in the $12k to $18k range.
1993 Airstream B190
Cgzito
Weekend Camper

Post by Cgzito »

Hey great idea! Thanks for replying. Check out the mods a few comments up. There are pictures. Solar panels and the 32 inch samsung are the real kickers.

This van is nearly fully mechanically fully restored.
Brand new: transmission, water pump, heater core, fuel filter, starter, battery, distributor cap/cables, all new hoses, new ground and positive battery wires and solenoid. I feel like ive done more than that. But basically all the big stuff has been replaced and this thing runs better than any truck ive seen. It helps that it has an indestructible 460 in it.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

Wow, this makeover is inspiring me! Thank you for all your input and pictures.
Cgzito
Weekend Camper

Post by Cgzito »

Mountaindent. Thats awesome. A lot of people discouraged me and said this and that couldn't be done. They were wrong. I lived in this thing full time, no camp grounds, city to city odd job to odd job and it worked and works perfectly. I spent nights in random closed business using wifi(or my cell phone's mobile hot spot) to play PS4 with friends or watch net flix without the annoying hum of the generator. My B190 is set up for full time off grid, go any where living.

I will admit one thing, although l spent an entire year in this van with my dog, having him there was a challenge for various reasons. But it is doable and I did it successfully.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

I can understand that adding a pet does bring challenges and issues. However, you seem to have really worked at the joys of off the grid camping. I love the ability to park almost everywhere, slip in and out of places and travel in urban places without the stress of a big rig. I have detected a leak in the shower area of my B190 and if it is not too hard a fix then will keep shower however, will take shower out if it is too expensive. Need the toilet but,the shower can be worked around.