Come in and introduce yourself!
Jim.UT
New User
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Looking for a B190 or other GOOD class B

Post by Jim.UT »

Hi all,

I've been casually looking for a good B190 for a few months now. Casually as opposed to seriously. If one shows up I'll buy it, but the wife is absolutely opposed to buying anything like that over the internet without first seeing it in person. And we can't afford airfare to jet around the country kicking tires.

So when one shows up locally, we go see it. Looked at one north of here last spring. I think the tires must have been cupped because the thing was LOUD at highway speed and really swayed. Another one showed up south of here last weekend so we went to see it. We were positive we would not buy it because he was asking $13K for an '89. I'm too cheap to pay that much. But we were curious to see if all B190s were that loud and unstable.

We found the '89 to be well optioned, usual fading and chipping of the exterior stripes. Underside was clean. Tires looked new but had 2011 date codes. It turns out the guy has only had it a month. I guess he's trying to flip it for profit. Nothing wrong with that, but geez, it would be nice if he had some answers to questions.

How does the water system work? Never tried it.
How does the furnace work? Never turned it on.
Does the fridge get cold? Don't know.

There were several little things that needed fixed. The windshield wipers didn't work at all. The power door locks kept cycling as we drove: lock, unlock, lock, unlock. The roof AC had a smashed cover that would need replacing. One of the pull down blinds on the upper bunk was detached from the roller.

All this stuff is fixable, but not for $13K. To me it was a $4000 unit given all the things that had to be chased down and the potential for other problems hiding under the surface. Am I too cheap?

We were pleased to find that is ran smooth and quiet with a minimum of sway. So now we know that a GOOD B190 will work for us.

I would like to find one with the longer overhead bunk because I'm 6'6" and the later, shorter models just won't work for me.
stomper18
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Re: Looking for a B190 or other GOOD class B

Post by stomper18 »

Jim I just posted my 1999 for sale on this site.
if you're interested send me an email at alanjac@msn.com

thanks,
Alan
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Looking for a B190 or other GOOD class B

Post by skater »

I'd check the A/C, too, if the plastic shroud is damaged. Usually they break when something hits them.

$13K sounds like a lot for something with that many questions. For $13K I'd like to know that yes, the systems work perfectly, and I'd want to see decent (maybe not new) tires, working power locks, etc. On the other hand, $4K might be too low, too. It's possible they bought it and realized it wasn't for them before they even used it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit