Come in and introduce yourself!
Newkirk407
New User
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

New to the world of B190's

Post by Newkirk407 »

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a B, this summer actually from an elderly neighbor couple. We picked up a 1992, with 150k for just shy of $3000. I had no idea what I was getting, just knew it was offering us a place to sleep, cook and get out of the sun while at the motocross track. The wife and I love this thing, the kids, not so much at first. I am currently trying to work out all the small issues I have found along the way to make this our own B.
Current issues are: The generator doesn't want to turn over, although one day while messing with it, it started to. I have found a water leak(PO said No Leaks, and a lack of rain this summer let that tale slide) But I think it's actually from the front top window, which is cracked and seems to have a home repair. Some of the interior lights have stopped working, not sure if it's needing bulbs or replaced fixtures, but I think I'm switching it over to LED. THE WORST IS The Sway. It's progressively gotten worse as we have traveled, but it's got to go. Once you reach 55, it's a scary ride... and Semis or cross winds only make things worse. I had to have some exhaust work done, and the mechanic told me everything looked new underneath, but I question if the shocks are heavy duty and thinking it's lacking a rear anti-sway. Also plan on some new tires and wheels.
All of this had lead me here and I look forward to interacting with you all and possibly picking at your brains from time to time.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: New to the world of B190's

Post by skater »

Welcome to the site!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Post by micabarry »

Welcome and good luck! I purchased a 91 2 years ago and I just about through fixing or replacing almost everything. This site is a tremendous help and you will find answers to your questions when you wade through the years. I plan to add some things I learned when I get a minute but for now I just want to respond to the wandering issue. Mine did too for 10,000 miles across the USA and back. I followed the suggestions on the site and installed Helwig sway bars front and back, 4 Bilstein shocks, a Monroe steering in damper and 4 Michelins. I just took a 1,100 mile trip and It drives so much better. Very pleased with the results. If you plan to keep it and drive it I would recommend this upgrade. Barry
DavidP
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by DavidP »

Welcome to the sight. I also purchased my B for racing. I run Hair scrambles up and down the east coast from Florida to New York. From March until November.

If somewhat on a budget the two thing that mostly improve the swaying is a Hellwig rear sway bar and good HD shocks. I am running Monroe.
And as you can afford it the steering stabilizer and upgrading the front sway bar.

Check the date code on the tires. Even if they have tread, you need to get new ones if they are more then 8 years old.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined the B is easy to work on. Put a key word in the search box and you will probably find an answer. If not, post in a topic and someone will let you know what they found!

Good luck

Dave