Come in and introduce yourself!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: New member

Post by skater »

190-b-651 wrote:We've use ours a few times it works well but the cooking choices are plentiful open fire is my favorite but not always possible. But it does give you a little more bargaining room.
You can do what we're doing in the trailer - replacing the microwave with a microwave/convection oven. Note, make sure there's adequate clearance around it so it doesn't set the camper on fire or something (there definitely is in our trailer).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Choptop good luck today.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Well I went down to look at it today, body and interior look great for a 27 year old camper, no rust, no dents. Interior is very nice, he told me the seats were tore up a bit but had nice looking seat covers on them, Both seats are power as are the windows. The two batteries under the hood are new. Recently put in a new alternator, along w/the tranny rebuild,. new refrig and tires, the tires are Firestone marathon?, says the don't ride the best but wear real well, my brother said they put them on semi's? The wiring for the generator was cut inside the generator box, so ideally all I would need would be the generator. It is obvious it has been taken care of by it's owners. I have been sent pics on others I have been inquiring about and saw dents and fading/peeling paint and stripes coming of w/surface rust... I'm thinking a good buffing and some good wax or clear coat and it would shine like new. He has put 20,000 on it in the last couple of years. I told him I would give him a call by noon tomorrow w/my decision. He doesn't really want to sell it but macular degeneration and his 81years old, he doesn't feel comfortable behind the wheel, and financially, I don't think he is hurting. $9,500.00 is hi bottom dollar, I would like to pay less...I do not feel, if kept in it's present condition, that it is going to loose much value in the future, I am leaning towards buying it and letting the mods begin. Your thoughts please.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

He had some type of an "easy steer" or something to that effect where there was a bracket w/some springs attached to each front wheel to help bring it back in uneven roads...?
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

is this something worth considering, just showed up on local craigslist:1993 FORD FALCON, E250, 351 MOTOR, RWD, ONLY 72,000 MILES! SLEEPS 4, SINK, SHOWER, TOILET, STOVE, MICROWAVE, REFRIGERATOR, LOTS OF STORAGE, GENERATOR AWNING, AIR CONDITIONER, AND MORE! PRICED TO SELL QUICKY! PLEASE STOP OUT FOR A TEST DRIVE OR GIVE US A CALL AT $7,500.00
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

If its sound im thinking $8-8.500 the paint doesn't surprise me my 93 needs paint on one side and all the striping. I payed $10k with 81.000 on it probably a little bit to much but it was solid and everything worked. Did he have the book with it? I got lucky mine has everything ever done to it in there.

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

This is the good side. Image

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

The paint on the '90 I looked at today was GREAT for a 27 year old vehicle, their was a Airstream book/binder in it, I didn't look threw it much.
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

Honestly, I'm going to say the $9.5k isn't necessarily a bad price
I have a '90 that I bought for $7500 a little over 3yrs ago. A good price! The paint was in really bad shape, but ultimately that didn't matter - it drove well and the interior was in good shape. Longs story short, a few months later I found LOTS of water damage in the rear floor and sub floor that required a lot of renovation. During that, I replaced most of the appliances, the plumbing, etc... A lot of that was simply because I knew it was 27yrs old and that stuff was going to fail (water pump never pressurized right, fridge was spotty at times, etc...) A few thousand dollars of repairs inside and outside, in the first few years. NOW, I'm dealing with a 27yr old engine that never had any of that work done - which so far has been another couple thousand. My transmission is strong, and has less than 50k on it, but I'm in FL heat and the beast is heavy - its just a matter of time, ya know?!? If he's done the preventative maintenance for you, consider that in the price is all I'm saying...
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

slapthecat wrote:Honestly, I'm going to say the $9.5k isn't necessarily a bad price
I have a '90 that I bought for $7500 a little over 3yrs ago. A good price! The paint was in really bad shape, but ultimately that didn't matter - it drove well and the interior was in good shape. Longs story short, a few months later I found LOTS of water damage in the rear floor and sub floor that required a lot of renovation. During that, I replaced most of the appliances, the plumbing, etc... A lot of that was simply because I knew it was 27yrs old and that stuff was going to fail (water pump never pressurized right, fridge was spotty at times, etc...) A few thousand dollars of repairs inside and outside, in the first few years. NOW, I'm dealing with a 27yr old engine that never had any of that work done - which so far has been another couple thousand. My transmission is strong, and has less than 50k on it, but I'm in FL heat and the beast is heavy - its just a matter of time, ya know?!? If he's done the preventative maintenance for you, consider that in the price is all I'm saying...
From what I have seen on Craig's list and E bay, it is not a bad price and considering how nice the interior and paint are, the fact that in the last 2 years he installed a new refrigerator, tires, rebuilt the tranny, new alternator, I think it is a fair price and today he told me that shocks, ball joints tie rod ends... were replaced by the previous owner and after I drove it 80 miles today and how nice it rode I am a happy B190 owner !! :D :D VIN 1FDHS34G0LHB69054
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

WAHOO!!!! Congratulations!!!!
I, for one, think you did the right thing. And look at that - just in time for a long camping weekend!!!
Enjoy!!!
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

slapthecat wrote:WAHOO!!!! Congratulations!!!!
I, for one, think you did the right thing. And look at that - just in time for a long camping weekend!!!
Enjoy!!!
Thank you ! Wish I could say it was a long camping weekend but it is not to be. Didn't know I was going to have a camper and got a motel at Wi Dells for the weekend and you know they like to enforce those 72 hour cancellation policies. :roll: Will spend the next week getting familiar w/the B, cleaning her up and perusing the manual. The owner gave me a crash course on things but I am sure I am lucky if I retained half of it. :? Will be a near future shake down run and I am sure I will have plenty of questions, I love this forum.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Choptop wrote:
slapthecat wrote:Honestly, I'm going to say the $9.5k isn't necessarily a bad price
From what I have seen on Craig's list and E bay, it is not a bad price and considering how nice the interior and paint are, the fact that in the last 2 years he installed a new refrigerator, tires, rebuilt the tranny, new alternator, I think it is a fair price and today he told me that shocks, ball joints tie rod ends... were replaced by the previous owner and after I drove it 80 miles today and how nice it rode I am a happy B190 owner !! :D :D VIN 1FDHS34G0LHB69054
Congratulations!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Hey Choptop now your officially in the group. .lol
Glad it worked out I know your excited.