Finally Got My Hands On One

Come in and introduce yourself!
Weland
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Finally Got My Hands On One

Post by Weland »

Hello,
After selling my last RV, I was determined to find a B190 locally for sale.
I finally found one about 1.5 hours away, and she's a beauty.

It's been sitting in my driveway for the last couple weeks, since I bought it.
In that time we had a few good rain storms, and the other day I went move it and tons of water came gushing down the inside of the drivers door.
I thought "oh no, I bought a nightmare."
But after finding this site, I am relieved to find it's not a big deal.
Thanks to Kentuckian for posting all the part numbers for rebuilding the top windows.
I removed the bed board and low and behold, there was a lake of water.
At the time it happened I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, but now it makes sense.

It's a 1992 with a dinette instead of a couch. Has 82k and is in pretty good condition.
I plan on doing a lot to this RV, if my wallet can keep up.
Where the kitchen counter is I'll be putting a pullout couch (opposite the dinette), and where the fridge and closet are is where the new kitchen counter will go. (with a smaller fridge / new stove.) On the opposite side where the original stove is, is where the new closet will go. The toilet will be moved into the new all-in-one shower/bathroom.

I purchased a Dana 60 and Sterling 10.5 with 4.10 gears to do a 4x4 conversion.
Not sure I will follow through with this, as it's going to cost a lot more than originally thought. But we'll see.

I have always wanted one of these, and I'm pretty excited to finally be an owner!
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 19000

Re: Finally Got My Hands On One

Post by mountaindent »

Well, there is a bowling ball effect and real excitement of restoration that can easily blow a budget(speaking from experience). However, that being said...the camper van is ready to roll and if I do no more on it I will have a grand time the way it is right now. My only advice is take time to triage the most important items for function and leave the esthetics till later. While this is an intuitive statement one can be drawn into things looking good first.
Weland

Post by Weland »

I purchased this to specifically do this. Have had this idea for a numerous years now.
I've owned 5 Class B RV's and have always hated the layout of the Class B van conversions. One couch staring at the sink.
And really enjoy the more social layout the bigger RV's have.

I've never done anything like this with an RV, but done it with a couple different houses, and yes "bowling ball effect" for sure.
This time I'm aware of what I'm getting into (I think!). Either way, I will make it happen.
And I think I'll listen to your advice on esthetics.
Thanks.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Congrats !! As a new owner myself I can understand the excitement and things a person wants to do. have fun busting that budget !
Weland

Post by Weland »

Choptop wrote:Congrats !! As a new owner myself I can understand the excitement and things a person wants to do. have fun busting that budget !
Thanks!
Who knows, I'll be doing most of the work myself, it might not end up being that bad.
Just read your post and Congrats to you too!

About 20 years ago I had a Dodge extended camper van with a big boat top like the B190's, and after selling it I've been wanting another boat top, as most camper vans have the narrower, smaller top.
The Dodge had the toilet in with the shower, bathroom was a little crammy but made it a little more roomy in the main space.
Loved the Dodge, but nothing beats this when you're a Class B fan.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Choptop wrote:Congrats !! As a new owner myself I can understand the excitement and things a person wants to do. have fun busting that budget !
I would be so upset with my budget busting on restoring my B190 except for the fact that I spend most my time thinking of trips I will take, routes to go and how to glam her up without spending anymore real money. and, there is the endless way to pack her up for best utility. Too much fun to worry!
Weland

Post by Weland »

mountaindent wrote:
I would be so upset with my budget busting on restoring my B190 except for the fact that I spend most my time thinking of trips I will take, routes to go and how to glam her up without spending anymore real money. and, there is the endless way to pack her up for best utility. Too much fun to worry!
Most people do just that, including myself.
But this time it's different.....
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Wise words Weland....this time is always different. The rationalizations are fun too validating why I had to do this now or that a certain way. Glad we are all restorations addicts.