New Owner New England

Come in and introduce yourself!
PatO
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

New Owner New England

Post by PatO »

Hi- I am a happy newbie. Bought this baby from a NH Craigslist appx 3 hours north of me. Between the ice storm and snowstorms, and trying to coordinate my wife and my days off to travel up and get it back, it was quite an ordeal; we had to keep pushing the date off, and I was worried that someone else would grab it. The seller was really a great guy, though, and held it because I was the first one to call. I was just browsing Craigslist for the millionth time, not expecting anything, and there it was, having been posted 21 hours before. Year-1994.

ANYway... I took out a personal loan, saw it, took it for a ride, and bought it on the spot! No, it's not perfect, but I was impressed with the mechanical aspects, that the tranny was rebuilt (Jasper), and it seemed as if it had been kept up with. Right now, it is still at the truck mechanic recommended by the small RV repair place I am going to go to next for all the coach stuff. I told the truck guy to go through it thoroughly and do anything it needs. So far, he has: Replaced back drivers door (the one with spare tire) as it was dented; the seller gave me the new door that he had bought and had painted, but had not installed. Also, third brake light replaced, it was all mangled, they did a nice, neat job; brake lines, rotors turned, front end bushings done, and I am hoping the steering box can be tightened up-there is not a sway problem that I could notice, but the steering has a LOT of play. My wife thinks the play is normal (she has experience driving these types of vans), but I don't like the way it feels. Hopeful that it can be lessened.

After the truck place, it will be on to the RV place. Needs: new toilet and Fan for starters, also owner previous to the one I bought from removed shower tub and created a wooden storage area. The plumbing, tub pan, and fixtures are all with the van, I am thinking of restoring to original. Also I will have them check out all lines and tanks, pressurize and test, etc. The generator works, the AC works, all lights work, couch is good. All woodwork looks good, cabinets, latches, etc. appear to be working as intended. Widows appear intact, I see some resealing needs here and there, but no obvious leaks or staining on the inside walls. Headliner detaching with clear tape applied in a few spots, but I can live with that.

I need curtains, top mattress, and I want to eventually replace floor carpet with linoleum or tiles. I am sending along the original CL posting pic. I don't have any of my own yet, will send and include VIN when I get the van back.
Overall, I am very happy, and I'm glad you guys are here. BTW- The seller also was a B190 Enthusiasts reader, we found that out when he started quoting stats to me about how many were made over what years, etc.
airstream.jpg
airstream.jpg (57.58 KiB) Viewed 12717 times
Last edited by PatO on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: New Owner New England

Post by skater »

Welcome to the site! Looks like a good find!
BTW- The seller also was a B190 Enthusiasts reader, we found that out when he started quoting stats to me about how many were made over what years, etc.
I always imagine these conversations going something like, "There's this guy, some kind of nut, that runs a site dedicated to these." "Come on..." "No, really. He's been running it for years. Didn't even own one for 6 years and still ran it."
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Pat -
Welcome to the family of B190 owners! Hope you and yours have many fun filled adventures with your new rig!
1993 Airstream B190
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Welcome and congrats. Let the fun of draining of the bank account begin :!: :D
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

Welcome!!

These are amazing machines, and you are going to have so much fun being a member of the club. As far as the play in your steering, after you get everything else checked out, I suggest you check out this:

http://www.safe-t-plus.com

You’ll read of so many modifications that you can do to keep your rig on the straight and narrow, but I wanted to share this link because it’s made a world of difference for me and my 1999 rig.

Be sure to post your questions, we are all very excited to help you in anyway that we can.
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Welcome from the left coast. Enjoy your B!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Welcome PatO

This is a great group sharing ideas and experience. Good luck and like choptop mentioned at times it gets pricey.
Jmo do a couple of camping trips before you decide to put the tiny tub back in storage is slim to none for larger stuff like chairs and fire wood mine is a 93 identical to yours im thinking about taking my tub out. But my wife always over packs lol.

Enjoy your new toy..
Dennis

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

lido14co wrote:Welcome from the left coast. Enjoy your B!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that where we're at the left side?
Lol

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

From another New England owner, welcome. Had the same experience about play in the steering when I picked up mine but after many addons, all of which you will find links to on this site, it drives almost like a truck. White knuckles no more. Good luck!
PatO
B190 Year: 1994

Post by PatO »

Thanks for the welcome folks. I'm hoping to pick up today from mechanic and bring to RV place. Here's my first question... The band around the fiberglass top is white, not blue. Could it have been replaced, or is it faded? I have never seen a white one in any pictures. Is there a place to buy one? I found one site, not sure if these types are correct. http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?main ... v2fcdpjk95

Thanks.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

PatO wrote:Thanks for the welcome folks. I'm hoping to pick up today from mechanic and bring to RV place. Here's my first question... The band around the fiberglass top is white, not blue. Could it have been replaced, or is it faded? I have never seen a white one in any pictures. Is there a place to buy one? I found one site, not sure if these types are correct. http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?main ... v2fcdpjk95
Normally, I'd say, no, those are plastic pieces that slide into a metal track that is used for trim on some Airstream trailers. But I'm not sure what your B190 has - mind posting a picture so we can see?

Usually it's one of these (not sure of the exact one).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

I love to hear how committed you are to restoring the camper. Makes me feel more normal now. Ha!

However, I am always thinking of this or that to do to bring the camper back to a wonderful camping status. Sweet dreams and grand imaginations now that you have come aboard.