Hello from Canada

Come in and introduce yourself!
SergentR64
B190 Year: 1993

Hello from Canada

Post by SergentR64 »

Hi folks,

It’s time I introduce myself. I was waiting for the van to actually be in my driveway and it was touch and go for a while.

I live on the East coast of Canada in a small Acadian town called Dieppe in the province of New Brunswick right beside the city of Moncton. Among other things we are known for here, my favourite is the nice sandy beaches with the warmest saltwater north of Virginia. They are located around the Northumberland Straight about 20 minutes from where I live. If you ever want to visit I will be happy to help out with questions.

I bought a 1993 Airstream b190, my first RV ever, and I am extremely happy to have found this forum. Thank you to all the dedicated people who got this site going and maintaining it. The information is really valuable and I still have many threads to read and questions will follow for sure.

Please feel free to ask if you have questions and I will do my best to contribute.

Cheers!
Robert
Attachments
IMG_2029.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6203 times
SergentR64

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by SergentR64 »

Hi again,

I realised that I did not give much detail about the unit. It's a 1993 Airteam B190 with 253,800 Kms (157,700 miles). The camper VIN is 1B9KGVA21PJ300644.

The previous owner bought it last fall from a couple who had it for 11 years, but she died over the winter and her daughter put the van in consignment at an RV dealership about 4 hours from where I live. Once I was interested in the van, my conditions where that they do a complete review of the camper systems and that the van needed tp pass the provincial safety.

They found the fridge, generator and the water heater were not working, but the rest worked fine. I almost walked away at that point, but my wife insisted that I just negotiate a lower price. Then, they found they had to replace the radiator supports for the safety. That was a big job the dealership paid for and got done right. Overall, with all these issues, I had to wait over 3 additional weeks before I could go get it.

Driving it back was quite the experience also. It only has the 351 engine and the previous owners pulled something with it since it has a trailer breaking device and a huge trailer hitch. The ride was goo until I hit the highway. I was doing the speed limit and when I started on inclines, the engine would lose significant power until it was back on a flat road. Fuel consumption on the way over was terrible also. That scared me and I was having buyer's remorse big time. I'm still not sure what is wrong, but it is going in for an overall inspection with my local shop in 2 days. I am positive since it runs great in town and there are no visible or audible signs of anything wrong. Fingers crossed!

Oh and I was able to get the generator fixed for $200 so if this keeps up I will start to like the camper more and more. Now if I can just stop hitting my head all the time!!! lol

Cheers!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Welcome to the site! Would you mind posting (or sending privately) the Ford VIN so I can add your B190 to the database? Based on the story it seems unlikely I have that one already.

The tow package was an option and many of them had it - it doesn't guarantee that they actually towed anything with it.

My guess for your power loss is some kind of fuel delivery issue - maybe the fuel pump going bad. But that's just diagnosing over the internet without any actual hands-on time, and it's not worth much.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
SergentR64

Post by SergentR64 »

Update - It was the fuel filter and the catalytic converter. The rest of the mechanic is great... except:

I do have an issue with frame rust on the front passenger side and no mechanic or welders wnt o touch it (I visited 13 including the Ford service centre). If it does not get fixed it won't pas the provincial safety and it will be a loss on all the line. :(

I was just starting to love it. All the interior is nice, my wife made all new curtains and of all the cabinet doors, only one is cracked. The awning and generator work fine and so does the A/C both in the van and on the camper.

Anyway, the dealer offered me to bring it back for a full refund! I'm afraid they don't know the value and will scrap the van. I would be willing to let it go for 8K USD and I could drive it to the US border on the East Coast if someone wanted to buy it. The frame could be welded or a used frame could replace the existing one (we have one in the Canadian database, but it's in Calgary Alberta (the other end of the country so it would cost too much to ship it here).

I'm open to suggestions... However, I think I will cut my loses at this point.

Thanks
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

That's bad news. I hope someone can save it!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
SergentR64

Post by SergentR64 »

Ok, I was asked to drop it at the Halifax Airport in Nova Scotia where it will be put up for auction. If I get more information I will try to post a link. I will go for very cheap I’m certain. :|