Drivability Issues

Come in and introduce yourself!
EricaS
B190 Year: 1997

Drivability Issues

Post by EricaS »

I just sold a 2005 Airstream Westfalia I had because of how tall it was and the inability to control it in stronger than 25mph winds. (Texas). Have any of you experienced this with your b190’s? I would think they’re heavier and lower center of gravity perhaps. No one had experienced that in the Westfalia group when I brought it up but it is a real thing and it was terrifying.
What’s the height of the b190? I’ve got my eyes on a 1991 and talking to the owner today.

Erica
Austin TX
1948 Airstream Trailwind
1955 Airstream Cruiser
1961 Airstream Bambi
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Drivability Issues

Post by Millennial Falcon »

Some people have installed Hellwig anti-sway bars which I hear helps.

I have the stock suspension and sways installed on my 1994. I'm in the middle of Utah currently... but in the last two months have been over 8,000 miles through extreme crosswinds over the open desert, swervy mountain roads with gusty winds, up and down "The Road to the Sun" in Glacier Nat'l Park, and on rough gravel roads bouncing my way to the windy top of a quarry-mound for sunset.

I think these vans built on the E350 are AMAZINGLY stable. I've felt very safe, and solidly secure in the van every inch of the way. I've not had to pull over once for fear of wind conditions or sway (which I have done in the past driving just a standard Suburban years ago).

I believe it's because these things are so heavy (empty weight of 4.5+ tons) and have a relatively low center of gravity. It also helps if you don;t store bricks in the overhead. compartments... but I have mine full of clothes and dry-food... which isn't exactly light... and I've been fine and felt properly balanced.