New member from middle TN

Come in and introduce yourself!
Wheels66
New User

New member from middle TN

Post by Wheels66 »

Thanks for allowing me to join! Looking to source a unit in good shape for a u-joint 4x4 conversion.

Wondering if the earlier models are capable of being converted to the latter aft bathroom setup? If so, are parts and pieces still able to be sourced? How well does Airstream support this legacy model with parts availability?

Thanks in advance!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: New member from middle TN

Post by skater »

It's theoretically possible, but not easy to do. You'd have to cut new holes for the tanks and seal the old ones. I'm trying to put a shower pan down on the floor that the toilet will also sit on (in its current position), then I just need to reroute the plumbing for the shower. Someone on the FB group did this but he hasn't posted many pictures so all you can really do is get the general idea. Just need to find a shower pan that's about the right size.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

:D Welcome! I personally have not received any support from Airstream, as I have not had a need to do so but I have found a wealth of knowledge and assistance in this forum. I know there are B190 communities on FB and other sites but I have found everything I was looking for right here. Feel free to search keywords and post questions to what you can’t find. I’m sure help will arrive for you as it does for me. :D
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Post by kstills »

Hey there! Welcome.

I'm going to give you my 2 cents worth of advice, and that may be overstating it's value by about 2 cents.

The latter bathroom setup for the B190s certainly beats the heck out of the earlier designs, but not by a whole heck of a lot. I cannot for the life of me figure out why in the world you need a dinky ass sink in that bathroom when you're in a 19Ft motorhome, 6 feet from the kitchen sink. And, for me at least, getting rid of the black tank and associated sewage issues is a pretty important part of my remodel.

Since you'll have to essentially gut the back end of the rig anyway, I would look into a standalone shower pan with either a diverter style toilet or a cartridge type. These things are pretty easy to work on (I'm assuming your doing this yourself) and once you strip everything out you might find you'll have a better idea than Airstream did back in the 90's.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :wink: