OK, I'm in...

Come in and introduce yourself!
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

OK, I'm in...

Post by reday »

I will be taking delivery on a well loved but high milage 1995 tomorrow.

Here is the first of my questions until I really get under the hood.

Shocks have not been replaced since around 1997 when a trip to Alaska did the suspension in. They are OK, but if you were going to replace them, what would you do? Give me your "OK, I'm going for safe, but will sell the rig" and your "I want the best adjustable on the market answer for my own use" answer.

Now, give me your answer using the same criteria for tires.

Last (for now), The spare tire bracket is breaking loose where it attaches at the door - not the hinge side. Know this is a common problem and considering what it went through on the Alaska trip 12 years ago I am surprised it is not worse. How have others fixed this? I have seen the angle iron welded to the door solution, but I am looking for something more esthetically pleasing...

Thanks...
Last edited by reday on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Congratulations!

I'm curious on the shock answer myself. I plan to just get some heavy-duty shocks, perhaps some RV shocks, for it, but I don't have specific brands in mind. I have a shop that I trust, so I plan to take it to them and explain the situation and see what they come up with.

For tires, mine came with (and I've replaced two with the same) BF Goodrich Commercial LTs. I've been pretty happy with other BFG tires I've had, but I will say one of the new ones started cracking rather quickly - and I use tire covers in the off season! The other one is fine. Of course, you want to be sure the tires can handle 3,000 lbs (or more) at 80 PSI.

For both shocks and struts, I sort of think there aren't really that many options available, so there's not a huge difference between "best" and "cheap".

I'm not sure what to say about that bracket. Mine hasn't done that, but I can definitely see how it could - that extra weight does all kinds of things to the door (try taking the tire off and closing the door sometime - you'll be amazed at the difference).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

OK... I'm past the Rancho 9600's I put on my last truck. I used it with a slide in camper and needed the adjustability.

Looking now at what Bilstein has to offer for the E350.

Take a look at this example from Shock Warehouse:

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm ... _year=1995

The price for the heavy duty is the same as the "regular" best. So my question is will heavy duty be too stiff a ride? I'm thinking probably not since the B190 has to fall in that "ambulance" weight category.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

If you click on the model number, the page that comes up implies that you wouldn't want to use these on our campers - it says for campers over 30 ft. Odd. I would've thought our campers qualified as severe duty (it's not like they can put too much more weight on that rear axle!).

I know others have installed shocks - I'm hoping they jump in and tell us what they got. I'm sure you saw this thread, but it doesn't give any specific recommendations, though.

reday
Weekend Camper

Went with heavy duty

Post by reday »

I talked with a tech at Shockwarehouse (Isn't if great when you can't talk to the manufacturer?). He said for our application the heavy duty is what we want. Same price - extra dampening should eliminate some sway. Will report back when I get them installed. BTW - lucked into an extra 5% off by ordering on "Wild Wednesdays"... probably do it every day of the week to get you to buy that day. Just don't come back and tell me you ordered on "Super Saturdays" and got 50% off!
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
skater
Site Admin

Re: Went with heavy duty

Post by skater »

reday wrote:Just don't come back and tell me you ordered on "Super Saturdays" and got 50% off!
:rofl: That'd be great! :rofl:

Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

This where your door is cracking...?

Last edited by Alaskan on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reday
Weekend Camper

Yes...

Post by reday »

I have bolted and caulked a piece of flat 1/4" aluminum about 18" long to the door and will mount back to that. Hopefully, that will hold it another 130,000 miles. I will post pictures when completed.