Newbies: Please read

Come in and introduce yourself!
henrycrigler
New User
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Thrilled to be your newest member

Post by henrycrigler »

Except for my '68 VW bus, long gone, I've never owned or even traveled in an RV. My pal has a B190 and I'm pretty sure the B190 is exactly what will work for us (me and my sweetie) I will use this forum to learn about the B190 and then to locate and buy one. I would appreciate being steered to articles describing the vehicle, year to year changes, what to look for in checking out the vehicle. I'm not quite ready to purchase in that I'm a recovering Saabaholic have orders to dispose of some extra cars before bringing anything else on wheels onto the property.
Read the rules about posting for sale and would suggest adding location in the title. A standard format such as: 1993 $11,000 109K Santa Rosa Ca would be helpful. Adding B190 or For Sale is unneccesary. Save attributes for description in text. Henry in Sonoma county
mritter4u
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Newbies: Please read

Post by mritter4u »

Hi Uncle Henry!
You only need to see me to learn all about the B190. I now have one sitting in my driveway with 31k miles, which I bought from a dear friend for only $11k. We'll talk!
Needle
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Thrilled to be your newest member

Post by skater »

henrycrigler wrote:Except for my '68 VW bus, long gone, I've never owned or even traveled in an RV. My pal has a B190 and I'm pretty sure the B190 is exactly what will work for us (me and my sweetie) I will use this forum to learn about the B190 and then to locate and buy one. I would appreciate being steered to articles describing the vehicle, year to year changes, what to look for in checking out the vehicle.
Check out the Basic Questions forum - we have a lot of reference information in there, especially in the threads that are "stickied" (they stay near the top of the forum). Welcome to the site!
Read the rules about posting for sale and would suggest adding location in the title. A standard format such as: 1993 $11,000 109K Santa Rosa Ca would be helpful. Adding B190 or For Sale is unneccesary. Save attributes for description in text. Henry in Sonoma county
Those are good ideas, but getting people to follow them is probably doomed to fail and will just cause more problems than it solves. The other thing is that most people are willing to travel to pick up their B190.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
henrycrigler
New User

Post by henrycrigler »

Hello Skater, You predict that asking posters to include geo info in the title would be unlikely to be adhered to. But there are rules about posting with the consequence of having the post taken down if the rules are not followed. Soooooo......
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

henrycrigler wrote:Hello Skater, You predict that asking posters to include geo info in the title would be unlikely to be adhered to. But there are rules about posting with the consequence of having the post taken down if the rules are not followed. Soooooo......
I'm sorry, what is your concern? That we're more lenient on the rules than stated? Is there a specific post that is a problem?

lcoldham
B190 Year: 1996

Post by lcoldham »

Texas Panhandle here with 96 B190--bought in 2011- 34,000 orig miles-several long trips still some little issues but love it
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Welcome to B190 land! Wow! 34k miles is like having a new unit!
1993 Airstream B190
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Camped at Palo Duro Canyon in your neck of the woods a couple of years ago. Beautiful place.

Cliff
myflatire
B190 Year: 1995

Post by myflatire »

I am Dave Keller. My wife and I just bought a splendid 1995 190 here in Yuma and are its second owner. It is as if the first couple never used it yet had gone 50000 miles. Just broken in. On june 1 we are leaving Yuma for parts cooler and will not be back till 1 Oct or so. So, we are giving this puppy a good try. I have read a number of posts to learn a lot about the 190. Have contacted AirStream about the blue stripe around the perimeter and they said they havent had any since 2003. The heat has been hard on the back section and it is mostly gone...the rest is very good. Ginny is making a new set of curtains.
I am not good at this posting stuff. I just found out how to post this and dont know how it will come out...please forgive the old guy.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

myflatire wrote:I am Dave Keller. My wife and I just bought a splendid 1995 190 here in Yuma and are its second owner. It is as if the first couple never used it yet had gone 50000 miles. Just broken in. On june 1 we are leaving Yuma for parts cooler and will not be back till 1 Oct or so. So, we are giving this puppy a good try. I have read a number of posts to learn a lot about the 190. Have contacted AirStream about the blue stripe around the perimeter and they said they havent had any since 2003. The heat has been hard on the back section and it is mostly gone...the rest is very good. Ginny is making a new set of curtains.
I am not good at this posting stuff. I just found out how to post this and dont know how it will come out...please forgive the old guy.
Your post looks good! Welcome to the forum and good luck with the B190!

Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Hi Dave,
Welcome to B190 Enthusiasts... and congratulations on your '95 B190! There's a lot of great information on this web site and I guess we all stop in to support one another. Keep us posted on your B190 adventures!
1993 Airstream B190
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Welcome Dave. Enjoy your road trip this summer.

Cliff
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Welcome Dave, from a fellow Arizonan!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Emily
New User

Post by Emily »

Hi there,

I just purchased a 1989 B190 in great condition. I'm working on modifying it to live in full time. Any helpful tips on modifications for full time use would be most appreciated. My current project is installing a kill switch to the battery (I live close to downtown Oakland CA) and repairing the right turn signal. Also taking out the carpet and putting in vinyl flooring. I do have a question about the refrigerator. How long does it generally take for the fridge to reach full running capacity? I tried plugging it in for a couple of hours and nothing seemed to be happening. I'm wondering if I need to let it run for a longer period before I go in and check on functionality.

Looking forward to reading about your rigs!
Emily
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

Emily wrote:Hi there,

I just purchased a 1989 B190 in great condition. I'm working on modifying it to live in full time. Any helpful tips on modifications for full time use would be most appreciated. My current project is installing a kill switch to the battery (I live close to downtown Oakland CA) and repairing the right turn signal. Also taking out the carpet and putting in vinyl flooring. I do have a question about the refrigerator. How long does it generally take for the fridge to reach full running capacity? I tried plugging it in for a couple of hours and nothing seemed to be happening. I'm wondering if I need to let it run for a longer period before I go in and check on functionality.

Looking forward to reading about your rigs!
Emily
Hello and welcome to B190.com Sounds like you have a good van and the fact that it's a late model means you probably have the V-10 engine which I've found to be a good thing. I understand lots of people like the old V-8 but the V-10 works well for us.

Our B190 frig cools down in less than a day - probably on the order of 6 - 8 hours when plugged into electricity. It cools down quickly on propane mode too. For comparison, the frig in our B190 cools down much quicker than the frig in our Airstream trailer.

We always try to pre-chill our food and beverages so the frig doesn't have to work too hard to cool things down. For example, if we allow the frig to cool down to 35F or so then fill it up with room temperature items it will take a few hours to rebound and get the temperature down. Filling it up with pre-chilled items means it doesn't have to work hard at all to keep things cool.

Good luck with your remodel. You may want to start a separate thread on that subject to get ideas from other members as well as post pictures now and then.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate