Newbies: Please read

Come in and introduce yourself!
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Newbies: Please read

Post by Planck »

Go to this forums "Index" page. There you will find several evenings worth of reading the different well organized topics. I have found this more than makes up for the lousy factory manual. You will then know what is there, and will be able to go back and reference specific topics in the future as you run into problems. If that does not work, just ask a question on this forum and you should be able to get lots of help.
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by Kentuckian »

Eldsys, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 'new' B190. Lots of great information on this site. And as already mentioned post any questions and we'll be glad to help you however we can!
1993 Airstream B190
cellogirl
B190 Year: 1994

Post by cellogirl »

Hi everyone!
I'm so glad to see this forum. Last summer I bought a 1994 B-van. I bought a one-way ticket to N. Carolina, picked it up, and drove it back to WA state (6 fun days seeing our country from one end to the other!). I had never RV camped before and it was a steep learning curve! However, I've had it out camping lots of times and go with the local Airstreamers on fun rallies. I've got a few issues that need fixing, so am about to navigate through the forum for some answers, but wanted to introduce myself. Thanks for having this useful tool available for us.
Michelle
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Welcome to the site!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Greetings to folks on the B190 forum,
Thank you to the folks who have set-up and maintained this B190 forum and for all the posts. After several years of research, this forum was really helpful in (a) deciding to purchase a B190 and (b) working with Don Hinz at Boulder Off-Road conversions to transform it into a 4x4. I purchased a 1996 with the big block engine from Always RV in AZ in June '13, drove it up to Boulder/Lafayette, CO, left it with Don Hinz for a month where he put in the lift kit, BiIlstein shocks, anti-sway bars front and back, big new brakes in front, new rims and the BF Goodrichsnow/offroad tires and the full 4x4 conversion. I also had the rear gearing changed to 3:73 to help move the big rims and tires (not really interested in towing so did not go up to 4:10) and they added some extra back up lights mounted on the back roof. Picked it up in mid July and then drove straight back to VT, 1,900 miles in 36 hours--a crazy drive I hope not to have to repeat, had to be back for work. I wanted a weekend get-away machine that could get me up the forest roads here in VT and other parts of New England during all four of our seasons and so far, so fun. We are getting very cold nights this December so I have it plugged in and checking how warm it stays either with the furnace or the heater when plugged in before I take it into the woods in the single-digit cold. More posts and pics to come. Cheers to all,
VT 1996 4x4
Attachments
Northstar before 4x4.JPG
Northstar before 4x4.JPG (149.3 KiB) Viewed 18075 times
Northstar int rear.JPG
Northstar int rear.JPG (157.59 KiB) Viewed 18075 times
Northstar1.jpg
Northstar1.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 18075 times
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

VT964x4 wrote:Greetings to folks on the B190 forum,
Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the forums. Looks like you got one that's in pretty good condition.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Really nice looking setup you've built there. Like it a lot! I believe we have one other 4x4 conversion who frequents the forums here. Thanks for posting the photos and welcome to the forum!
1993 Airstream B190
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Thanks for the replies. The van is in really good shape with 36,000 on it when I bought it, no rust. Engine was completely checked out and running well. Yes, I have seen pictures of the "The Beast" on this forum, he did a 4x4 conversion at Boulder Off Road--his was one of the write-ups that I found on the internet about Boulder Off-Road that convinced me to go with them. When it is in 4WD High rolling along the dirt roads it really handles wonderfully. [Are 'Keystone' and "the Beast" one and the same(?) on the forum? If not, seems there might be two other 4x4 conversions?] Earthroamers are just, ohhhh, well, a few hundred grand out my budget and the Sportsmobiles seem really over-priced. Thought about trying to convert a 2005 Winnebago Mini on a Sprinter chassis, there is an outfit in CA that does that (Whitefeather), but that too was a lot more than $$ than the B190 option even though I am envious of the Sprinter mpg. There are several folks doing these van 4x4 conversions, but I could find none on the East Coast who did them regularly. Quigley does not do one-offs anymore and there seem to me some mixed reviews on their work. There were a few shops that could gear up to do it in NE, but Don Hinz does this for a living so seemed the right way to go even as the whole concept is a mid-life madness kind of thing... I did not put in the suspension air bags that "The Beast" did, already spending too many $$$s... and was worried about being up a forest road and having one of them fail. Kept it simple. Still needs a winch--lots of folks will tell you that 4x4 is just a way to get stuck further away from help... Taking it slowly, getting used to what it can and cannot do. It is one big heavy machine! :D
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Keystone is still active on this sight. His 4x4 is a different vehicle from "The Beast". You can find photos of both in the Gallery.

I believe "The Beast" has been sold and not heard from for awhile. So the title "The Beast" may have to move to your B!
1993 Airstream B190
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Got it, thank you. And, there is a "Mocha Brown 4x4" in the gallery that I had forgotten was there as well. Best wishes to you and yours over the Holidays,
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Hi, Keystone here. We bought the "Beast" from Dave Hinz of Louisville, CO, back in 2009, just after Boulder Off-Road completed the conversion. He put about 500 miles on it after the conversion, and we have about 10K miles on it. (Are the two Hinz' related, I wonder?) So, there are just two of us on the site with the BOR conversion, though I understand there may be another converted B-van done by them in Mexico. Not sure about that. In any case, welcome to the club.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about our experience with the conversion. Love it!
Keystone
B190 4x4
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are looking at a 1998 B190 tomorrow. We're focusing on the later years based on a recommendation from a friend. He's owned early models as well as late models and preferred the later years. I'm sure they're all good but for now we're considering '97, '98 and '99.

We're actually looking for a van for my wife's sister. She has camped/RV'd in the past and is considering getting back into it. I hope we can find the right (good) van for her.

I'll let you know what happens after our test drive tomorrow.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

We bought the van. It's in reasonably good condition but needs a few tweaks before it's fully ready to hit the road. I'll be scouring the threads here to learn more about the B190 and find good sources for parts and upgrades.

Thanks.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

If you're worried about the rusted undercarriage there's a spray on undercoating you can get at auto parts or hardware store. It's in a spraypaint size can and works just like spray paint, just a little thicker.

Cliff
AKstreamer
New User

Post by AKstreamer »

Hello I am a new owner of a 1994 B190 Airstream Van. My family lives in Alaska and I am a super excited to be a part of a forum to get answers. Thanks for all the information on this site. I do have a question on weight restrictions on the overhead bed as we are a family of four. Thanks again for all the questions and answers.