Newbies: Please read

Come in and introduce yourself!
sandyparr
New User

Re: New Member

Post by sandyparr »

Hello: My user name is sandyparr and we are new to your wonderful site and in search of a very good example of the Airstream B190. We had a beautiful 1992 Beaver Marquis motorhome for a number of years but never really used it. One we were caring for my mother who passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 99 and two it was just two big for both of us to drive comfortably.

We are now in a better position to travel and see our beautiful country. I traveled a lot by plane for my work and have always wanted to see the United States and Canada by road.

I came upon the B190 by accident and am now extremely excited about trying to find one. I have done a national Craigslist search and the RV sites. We located one in Texas, a 1996 model but with 136,000 miles and very little information being provided by the owner as she has it consigned for sale.

I have been reading as much as I can. It appears in the class B van conversion area the Airstream B190 and some of the Roadtrek and Great West Vans are the leaders.

I have also read that the Airstream B190 is most sought after in years 1997 - 2000 because of the V-10 engine? I am introducing myself to the site / members as we are now trying to put a game plan together to find a good vehicle and listen to your advise.

I would love to find an enthusiast who had taken the time to properly modify their unit, one that has been used on a regular basis (many vehicles like this end up sitting for long periods of time) and get one pretty much ready to hit the road. I believe in our country and feel this is where we want to travel. We are not wealthy people but we do have our health and I see this vehicle as the perfect choice. We are not going to be living / traveling full time but hope this size will support some extended journeys.

Thank you very much for you consideration and support.
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: Newbies: Please read

Post by Reddeer »

Sorry, just saw your post.

We have put 54,000 miles in 7 years on a 1993 with the 460 V-8. I like the low end torque of the 460, but have never driven a V-10. With B-190s, IMHO it is the condition of the rig, not the engine or the miles per se.

We bought ours orginally with 77,000 miles on it. The engine does not burn oil at 131,000, but we did have to replace the 4EOD transmission last year. Plan your budget for all the reparis, and modifications you may need or want. Welcome and hope you find one you like.
bolivera
New User

Post by bolivera »

Just started looking at class b's in general and someone in a Facebook group directed me here for information on the B190 specifically, but felt I would also get some good general information too. It will probably be a while before I buy because of reasons that I cannot go into. But I'm looking forward to learning.
con5
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998

New member in Fort Worth, TX

Post by con5 »

Hi there. The wife and I just bought a 1998 from Lubbock, TX with 116k miles. We are excited to start adventuring in our new B190. Most everything is stock and seems to work OK except the furnace so I am going to do some digging to see why the fan is tripping the breaker. Also, it took me a while to find the house battery (back passenger under the floor in the closet). I'm sure there will be lots of other things to learn about the van along the way and I am happy to have this community to help. If there are any other B190 people in the DFW area then I would love to meet up sometime!

BTW we are driving to Portland, ME this Labor Day weekend so wich us luck!

-con5
ReidK
New User

Newbie Here in the Central Coast, Ca

Post by ReidK »

Hello all,
So excited to be a member. I found you guys when researching about B190. My wife and I are proud new owners of a B190 1993, Fully loaded. Everything works! Bought it for 13k. It has the 350 in it and seems to run pretty solid. This site is what pushed me to pull the trigger on purchasing the van and we are so stoked. Went on our 1st trip to Big Sur (we live on the central coast of California) and it was great. Bought it with 90k and the guy who sold it had put a new trany, ac , toilet and generator. Its all original even with the aluminum ladder. Our 1st trip I realized that this puppy is pretty top heavy. Just ordered a rear sway bar and plan on putting Bilstein (HD) (thanks to some posts that I researched). Can't believe these where built out buy airstream. We also own a 1969 32ft Airstream so we now collectors ....LOL I guess. Thanks Reid Kitchen
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Post by kstills »

Welcome Reid. Like you, I just bought mine a few months ago, unfortunately I decided to fix one thing and, well, now I'm tearing it all apart, hehe. Good luck with yours!.
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Re: Newbie Here in the Central Coast, Ca

Post by kstills »

ReidK wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:24 pm
Hello all,
So excited to be a member. I found you guys when researching about B190. My wife and I are proud new owners of a B190 1993, Fully loaded. Everything works! Bought it for 13k. It has the 350 in it and seems to run pretty solid. This site is what pushed me to pull the trigger on purchasing the van and we are so stoked. Went on our 1st trip to Big Sur (we live on the central coast of California) and it was great. Bought it with 90k and the guy who sold it had put a new trany, ac , toilet and generator. Its all original even with the aluminum ladder. Our 1st trip I realized that this puppy is pretty top heavy. Just ordered a rear sway bar and plan on putting Bilstein (HD) (thanks to some posts that I researched). Can't believe these where built out buy airstream. We also own a 1969 32ft Airstream so we now collectors ....LOL I guess. Thanks Reid Kitchen
https://activesuspension.com/

May be worth checking out.
ReidK
New User

Sway Bar

Post by ReidK »

Thanks Folks,
Yep ordered a sway bar almost had it on then busted my wrist off to the shop to have them do it.
Palvetty
New User
B190 Year: 1991

Post by Palvetty »

Hello all! We are hoping to purchase a 1991 B190 within the next few weeks. We are making travel arrangements this week as it is about 28 hours away from our home. We live in middle TN and have owned various campers throughout the years, but never a van and never an Airstream! We are super excited, but also sort of holding our breath until we make sure this van is what the seller claims it is. We have done all the due diligence we know to do, including emailing Skater here with questions! Thanks again, Skater! If anyone has any suggestions of uncommon yet important checklist items before purchasing, PLEASE let us know! This site is so helpful and we have enjoyed looking at member's van pics. We will post ours if this sale goes through. Hoping for the best, palvetty
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Palvetty wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:32 am
Hello all! We are hoping to purchase a 1991 B190 within the next few weeks. We are making travel arrangements this week as it is about 28 hours away from our home. We live in middle TN and have owned various campers throughout the years, but never a van and never an Airstream! We are super excited, but also sort of holding our breath until we make sure this van is what the seller claims it is. We have done all the due diligence we know to do, including emailing Skater here with questions! Thanks again, Skater! If anyone has any suggestions of uncommon yet important checklist items before purchasing, PLEASE let us know! This site is so helpful and we have enjoyed looking at member's van pics. We will post ours if this sale goes through. Hoping for the best, palvetty
Welcome to the site!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
awobker
New User

Post by awobker »

Hi from Kansas! My husband and I inherited our 1991 B190 from his grandparents (went to his uncle first, then to us) last fall. He's recounted countless stories from their their annual trip to Minnesota as a child. For us the sentimental value far outweighs any monetary value. We're are looking forward to making new memories, we might even let a kid or two tag along sometimes (5 kids 22, 21, 18, 17, 14)Image.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

awobker wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:46 pm
Hi from Kansas! My husband and I inherited our 1991 B190 from his grandparents (went to his uncle first, then to us) last fall. He's recounted countless stories from their their annual trip to Minnesota as a child. For us the sentimental value far outweighs any monetary value. We're are looking forward to making new memories, we might even let a kid or two tag along sometimes (5 kids 22, 21, 18, 17, 14)Image.
Wow, it looks good! Welcome to the site.

Junkyard_sal

Post by Junkyard_sal »

Hello, I am new o Rv'ing and B190s but I jumped in and bought the first one I looked at. a 1991 Albino. I feel like I got a good one from a good owner.

This is the PO'ers photo but I will make my own memories in the van starting this spring. I am hoping to learn a lot from this forum.
b190.jpg
b190.jpg (205.46 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Junkyard_sal wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:38 pm
Hello, I am new o Rv'ing and B190s but I jumped in and bought the first one I looked at. a 1991 Albino. I feel like I got a good one from a good owner.

This is the PO'ers photo but I will make my own memories in the van starting this spring. I am hoping to learn a lot from this forum.
Welcome to the site!