Newbie looking for b190 with questions :)

Come in and introduce yourself!
ShawnaE
New User

Newbie looking for b190 with questions :)

Post by ShawnaE »

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this great forum, and I am just beginning to look for a B190. I have learned a lot and I am sure I will continue learning as further my quest for my perfect (or near perfect B190). I commute now to work 2.5 hours from my home and have put a ton of miles on my car doing so. I rent a room now and stay in town when I work, and then travel home to our farm on my days off. I now need to look for a place to stay and decided to get an b190 as it seems to be the perfect fit for my needs, not to mention I have caught the fever.
My question/questions for all of you are what should I be looking for that I may not think of,ie the best year, do you really use a microwave vs an oven or do I want both,can I get tv reception in this day and age without being in park or interne, features that you all find useful,what are potential clues that there maybe an undisclosed problem, Is there a price guide for specific years?( I found a 1990 with 59,000 miles, asking price 17,000- what do you think/) Any help or info you can give me would be appreciated. I thank each of you so much for your help in advance, I look forward to your coments and getting to know you all.
Shawna
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Okay - for the microwave/oven question, we use our oven occasionally and almost never use the microwave. The last time I can recall using it was when four years ago I was living out of it for 2 weeks in between houses (I used the microwave to make my oatmeal in the morning). We've probably used it once or twice since then, but it's pretty rare. More than anything else we use it for storage of snacks. :)

Personally I wouldn't get a camper without an oven, especially now that I have a wife that likes to bake. ;)

TV reception: the built-in antenna isn't very good in my experience; others may have had better experience. As far as I know, they are all wired for cable TV (mine is), and many campgrounds have cable TV connections. Also there was a thread recently about someone putting a new antenna on the roof - see the ICE forum. Note receiving over the air TV signals now requires either a digital TV or a digital tuner for an older analog tuner TV.

I don't think there have been too many "common" problems, outside of the E4OD transmissions that I think they all have. It's not unusual for those to die, but I'd worry more around the 100,000 mile mark.

For one with only 59,000 miles, I'd worry more about issues with non-use, such as worn out seals in the toilet or a generator that hasn't been used much. But those are fairly easy to check.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Our Van

Post by craigmar »

Hi ShawnaE, welcome. I use the oven and stove alot, also the microwave. I guess it depends on what your cooking and remember also that a lot of people it seems are choosing to grill or bar-b-que. We have a 1991 that had about 69,000 but we only paid 6900 and that was including the fact that we had new tires, new toilet and a new couch installed as part of the purchase price so I think we got a deal or a steal. We haven't had any major problems but did have to replace a water pump for the vans interior use and a couple of connecters. Our van didn't come with an awning so I rigged up something alternate which you can see in our gallery site. The van also came with a regular refridgerator rather than the 3 way most usually found in the vans and have had no problems other than needing to cool it down before we go on a trip and then running the gen-set every once in a while at the camp site as the fridge only runs off the gen-set or shore power if we use a campground. I haven't used the T.V. connection because we can use the computer to watch movies if we so desire or I have the satelite setup with a portable dish-tripod etc. We have modified the couch area so that the space between the couch and counter is filled with a fold down board and foam, extending the bed area, making for a larger bed for two. We enjoy the van and being able to take it to out of the way places rather than being stuck in a campground but we all have our individual tastes and uses. I think you will find as most everyone else has that there are limitations such as storage, room to move around when the couch is folded down etc but you will learn to adapt and make the van fit your lifestyle.
check out the gallery for pictures and ideas.
ShawnaE
New User

More questions

Post by ShawnaE »

Thank you Skater and Craigmar for your quick response and advice I found all useful. I really think I want both an oven and microwave ( I can always add the microwave). I am not sure if one year is better than another I guess it just depends on the rig itself. I do appreciate the heads up about the transmissions and I know 1994 have computer problems. I probably won't be watching to much tv, I really use my computer more. What is the best way to utilize your computer if you are not near wifi ( I will be staying in the parking lot at my job)?I really want to buy in the winter as I think prices will be lower, I may be able to detect water leakage as it will be rainy season. But if I find the perfect unit I would be willing to purchase sooner. I am willing to travel to pick up my b190 and then drive it home. I live in California and our smog laws are quite restrictive, I am wondering if anyone has had experience with buying an out of state vehicle and the cost of the changes that must be made to pass smog in CA. I love this website and I so appreciate the experiences and advice everyone shares.
Namaste,
Shawna
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

I like it when a gal comes along and knows she needs an oven...no doubt for cookies, cakes, breads and roasts

Which reminds me, we had a gal member at the yahoo site, Jeri from Colorado with a big ole dog, wonder where she went

Unfortunately, the alternatives to wifi is costly per moth...like 60 a month if ya want to contribute to Verizon or any of the other monopolies

Once you get out there motoring around, you'll quickly determine where all the wifi hot spots are...and, there are websites, like Jwire.com, to show ya right where they are per the zip codes around you

Keep watching eBay...also, from time to time put Airstream 190 or Airstream B190 or Airstream van into Google and simply add the word craigslist after those words and that will take you to any B190 listed on craigslist nationwide.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

How about Phil Shelton's ole rig with only 37,000 miles...its in California

http://b190.com/modules.php?name=Forums ... opic&t=558
jburt9

Shelton's B190

Post by jburt9 »

I tried on this one and it has been sold.
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

Post by Roadhog »

Welcome to the B190 site. You are correct, there is a lot of valuable information about B-vans on this site. Your questions are good ones. We have never used our oven. We have used the burners on ocassion. I have even thought about taking it out and putting in a stove top range and storage cabinet under it. Space is always a problem with these campers. When we are traveling and staying where elec is available we do use our microwave a lot. We do not have a generator but have a solar system. Your intended use changes the whole picture. Staying on your company parking lot most likely will not provide you with shore power. This would require you to use a generator for the microwave, which is available in the B190 vans. The stove and oven which operates from LP gas would be a good alternative to using the microwave. Verizion has very good coverage around the country. I think they offer a phone card for computers which may work from your parking lot. Google " NADA RV" and look up the B190. I believe that $17,000 for a 1990 b190 van is way out of line. NADA lists it as low retail $4728 and average retail $5742. You can't always go by this, they generally sell for more, but not that much more.
Hope this helps, keep looking, yours is out there somewhere. Happy Trails, Howard
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by RobertL »

Alaskan,
We got Phils old rig and are anxiously awaiting our return to San Diego to pick it up.

Its a nice rig!
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

oh....now I get it

I just talked to Phil a couple days ago....and asked him to direct the new owners here

He then told me that had already happened.

I'd been doing email with Phil since 2006, the first time he considered selling his rig

Now I'm trying to get him to come and visit Alaska

Dave...

RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by RobertL »

Actually Dave we were not directed here by Phil but rather found it from our search for a b van which would be most suitable for our needs.
Phil deserves credit for being a first rate guy for helping Mike in San Diego list the vehicle for sale and assist in providing information.
He was extremely helpful to both parties and was truthful.

One of the reasons we decided on the b190 was the forum, as it provided plenty of insight into the vehicle and its capabilities, capacities, etc.

Nothing like having a real consumers report to evaluate a vehicle for you prior to purchase.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks Robert...

I'm not surprised at all having done many emails with Phil and talked to him on the phone since 06..

Now he is having withdrawals not having that rig...

I came close to buying that rig in 2006 for a friend in Alaska, later got a similar one from Joe for her...this one
http://www.smugmug.com/Other/Diane-B190 ... 9592_vTGEq