Greetings from new member.

Come in and introduce yourself!
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Greetings from new member.

Post by jlidahoair »

Greetings fellow B-Van Enthusiasts,
We recently purchased a 1990 B190 with 34k miles. It has the 460 engine, so plenty of power. New Toyo tires, and we had it completely serviced by the Ford dealer, and they gave it a 100% on vehicle health. ;o) We've had other MH's large and small, but this little B190 is a real little Gem.. We used to have a 1990 Ford PU with the 460 and same transmission, so learned some things there. We haven't taken our maiden voyage yet, but planning to do that maybe this week. We'll be adding some photos soon, but in the mean time we'd like to say a big thank you to Skater for helping us get started, and look forward to this great learning experience. Life's a journey, isn't it? Thank you all for being part of it. ;o)
Happy Trails,
Jann & Lorraine <><
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Welcome & thank for joining.

A 1990 with only 34,000 miles would be a very nice find.

You should find the forums here very helpful as question develop.

You can create a photo gallery here and put in some pictures if you care to.
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Post by jlidahoair »

Thanks for the welcome Alaskan,
Yes, I agree about our 1990 B190 being a find w/34,000 mi. on it. I crawled under, and inside and checked everything out, and it seems just clean as a pin I & O. Time will tell.. Only problem I forsee is some wetness on tranny pan. We'll be getting that checked out soon. Also I noticed on the dual exhaust pipes, what is the purpose of the punched inserts in the tailpipe ends? Seems like that would create undue back pressure. Maybe it's a spark arrester feature. Any body have advice there? Other than that we'll just enjoy and deal with things one at a time. Just like life, right?
Have a great week,
Jann :D
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Jann....I suspect that all the perimeter bolts on the pan are not as tight as they had been as the original gasket compresses over time...I had that problem at one point.

Good time to do a complete trans service, to include flushing out all the old fluid, dropping the pan and putting in a new filter.

Please take a look here for trans service:
http://b190.com/modules.php?name=Forums ... opic&t=439

Good question on the baffling in the tail pipes....if ya look close there is actually another set of them back a couple inches behind the ones that are easy to see....

jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Post by jlidahoair »

Yes, I took another look, and I see the other set of tailpipe baffles inside a couple inches. Interesting. By the way, Your's are sure squeeky clean. ;o)

I Plan to check that transmission pan out soon, and get the trans serviced asap. Thanks for the info on that, and link.
Have a fun day,
Jann
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

90 with 34k miles, should give you lots of great miles. I don't know if this is the reason they are there, but I have always welcomed them to prevent mice from making a home in the muffler system every winter!
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Post by jlidahoair »

Thanks, we're looking forward to those lots of great miles from our B190. You may have a good point on the exhaust pipe baffles, and an interesting possibility. A built in "CDS" (critter deterrent system) ;o)
Happy Trails..
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by RobertL »

Welcome- We just bought our 93 with 37k on it.
Lots of life yet.

Look forward to reading your post.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Which reminds me.....I had a mouse enter the generator through the "too large" square hole where the generator exhaust pipes exits the van body.

This delightful critter ripped the insulation over on the far left to shreds making a nest, so much so it was necessary to remove the gen, remove the mess and replace that section of hard-backed insulation...had I not it would have been sucked into the aluminum cooling fan on the end of the crankshaft.

This area inside here was packed solid...

jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Post by jlidahoair »

I see what you mean. That's a good Idea you had. I may improvise on that somewhat, and make a flat piece of mesh and screw on in a similar way. It seems like those little critters can get into an RV in lots of ways. We had a mouse get into a Travel Trailer once through the electrical cord port. The lil' guy left a dropping in almost every conceivable spot, and started building a nest in a galley drawer. Fortunately we discovered it the same day. Good thing, because we left that RV parked year-round in the mountains under our snow-roof. Bummer, they are messy.. Fortunately there was only one mouse, and we put out a trap and caught him the first night. I solved the problem by pushing thick alum. foil and an SOS pad around the RV cord. They left us alone after that. Guess they don't like the taste of aluminum, steel wool and soap. ;o)
J.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

yep....did flat ones on a couple other rigs.

As I remember the new insulated piece from Onan was less than 20-bucks, but it was a ton of work to remove the gen, remove the cover, clean it out and replace the damaged piece and put it all back together and back in the rig......friggen mouse.

Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

So J....

We're gonna leave it up to you to do the Search to see why Ford actually installed those dual baffles in there...

I do wonder if there might be a little back-pressure developed by having them in there.

Maybe we can jerk them out and git another 5 miles-per-gallon...!
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Post by jlidahoair »

Yeah, I think I'll install a flat grid like the one you show here in the pic on my gen. exhaust pipe..

I will do some searching to find out about the dual baffles in the tailpipes. It would be interesting to know their reasoning, and who knows a tad more mileage may be gained by their removal.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I had noticed the baffles but never really gave them much thought. I assumed they helped with noise abatement.

Good ideas on the generator exhaust pipe screens.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Post by jlidahoair »

I did a bit of research and talked to a Local Custom exhaust company man. He was familiar with the exhaust pipe baffles, and said his understanding was that they were intended to be spark arrestors (I think maybe also to add a quieting effect). He Mentioned that one problem with them was that when the muffler was deteriorating, the pieces that came off the inside of the muffler would go back and start to plug up the baffles. His take was that even unplugged they can't help but cause undue back pressure.

So who knows, maybe a good quality muffler and 3" tailpipe would enhance performance and gas mileage. Would be nice.