New B190 Owner in So CA

Come in and introduce yourself!
Cherstream
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

New B190 Owner in So CA

Post by Cherstream »

Hello Everyone. My name is Cheri and I am the proud new owner of a 1992 Airstream B-190. I bought it from friend who have owned it for at least 8 years or so (although it hasn't been on the road in at least 5). It's in good mechanical shape decent and usable inside, but needs some upgrades like new curtains and upholstery. Will slowly start to work on it. I have been an Airstream fanatic since I was a little kid. I have owned a 27' International in the past but have been RV-less for years so am thrilled at this new addition. Photos coming soon.
Cheri Sicard<br>Author, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Easy Freezer Meals (2011 Alpha Books)<br>Owner 1992 Airstream B190<br>
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Congratulations!

Since it's been sitting so long, double check the tires if they haven't been replaced recently. They may have good tread on them, but if they're at least 5 years old they're going to be weather beaten pretty badly and are probably due for replacement.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Cherstream
Weekend Camper

Post by Cherstream »

Tire are good. It has been moved around during the last 5 years, just no long road trips. I don't think they ever used the stove oven or shower. But thanks.
Cheri Sicard<br>Author, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Easy Freezer Meals (2011 Alpha Books)<br>Owner 1992 Airstream B190<br>
Electraglide
Weekend Camper

Post by Electraglide »

Cheri,

Listen to Skater and at least have someone qualified look those tires over. Fixing the inside is nice, but having an old tire blow can cancel all your work and then some. I bought a 1991 a little over a year ago and the very first thing I did was change the rubber just for piece of mind.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Welcome Cheri....

Yep...be sure to have the tires checked out, sitting for 5 years you may soon detect then have flat spots....those should come out slowly over time when the tires get some temperature into them from rolling down the road.

Check the pressure water system to see that it holds pressure, the pump should not come on intermittently for a second or two....if it does you need to look the entire system over for minor water leaks..

Tell us about your book....?
jimi

Post by jimi »

I agree Tires should be replaced if over 5 years old. I attended a good sam rally last weekend and a local RV shop gave a preventive maintenance presentation.
One of the things I learned was there is an oval on outside of tire with 4 numbers in it
first 2 = month , second two = year , tire was manufactured. I will try and take a picture of mine and upload latter in the week.
Unless you can verify tires were stored inside, Replace after Five years. Tires cost hundreds to replace. Blowout repairs can cost thousands if you are lucky and maintain control.
Just my thoughts
jim I
jimi

Post by jimi »

Just posted this link under suspension on how to determine when tire was manufactured

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=11

Skater you might want move post somewhere else
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Okay, I think we've gone on long enough about the tires. :)

Cherstream
Weekend Camper

Post by Cherstream »

Yep, you've all managed to freak me out. But I will get it checked and ask my friend how much he actually did drive it. I know it hasn't been on any long trip, but it has been moved locally to various lots they were working on.

Thank you for the advice gentlemen (and ladies?).

All the best,

Cheri
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Cherstream wrote:Yep, you've all managed to freak me out. But I will get it checked and ask my friend how much he actually did drive it. I know it hasn't been on any long trip, but it has been moved locally to various lots they were working on.

Thank you for the advice gentlemen (and ladies?).

All the best,

Cheri
Sorry...no intention to freak anyone out. It's not how many miles or anything like that - it's just the age. No one worries about it with cars because you wear them down before the age issue comes into factor. It's much more important with a camper or other vehicle that isn't driven much.

Cherstream
Weekend Camper

Post by Cherstream »

No I appreciate it. I have a lot of experience with RVs ( I am a former circus performer who used to more or less live on the road) but it's been almost 20 years.

This rig is in good mechanical shape. Everything inside works, but it is worn and ugly, so will slowly restore it. But it usable as is (other than I will get he tires checked).

I will post pictures as I go along, although I have no time to work on anything for the next month or so (I am now a writer, and have a tight deadline on a project to finish). But I am so excited to have another RV. I am a road trip junkie who is never happier than being on the road.
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Welcome

Post by RobertL »

Seems there are a lot of B190's in California.
Ours migrated from the SouthEast before we found her in SanDiego.

Heed the advice on the tires particularly in the sunny southwest.

When we picked up OBLIVION last year, the tires had beautiful treads (nearly new) but the sidewalls had cracked badly.

The pleasant and helpful people at Discount Tire informed us that tires loose their memory(elasticity) if they sit too long. So a Motorhome sitting still for an extended time is just killing its tires.

We move our baby every 3 weeks and drive it about 50 miles or so.

It supposedly does a number of things:
1- You get the bug to get out and use the damn thing. BEST REASON!
2- It's good for the mechanicals and to identify and potential issues before you are 100+ miles from anywhere (easy to do in Nevada).
3- You keep the tires from getting flat spots.