New from WA

Come in and introduce yourself!
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

New from WA

Post by mtnmanb »

Hi there! B) from WA here, just picked up a 1990 B190 and pretty psyched about it. Glad to see there is a forum just for this. I've used hiking,skiing, and outdoors forums before and found them invaluable.

My B190 has a 7.5L V8, 117K, and is in pretty good condition. I've read a few things on here already and agree that the sway issue is fairly prevalent at speeds over 60 mph. Has anyone reduced that to a large degree by adding new/different sway bars? Any recommendations are welcome as it scared the crap out of me on the 2 hour drive home from the dealer.

I'll be using this van for a lot of ski resort camping. Not looking forward to chaining up, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Any words of wisdom, general, detailed, or otherwise?

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: New from WA

Post by Planck »

Welcome mountain man. I had a lot of sway on my 91 B190 with stock suspensioin. Traded it for a 93 B190 that had air bag suspensiono added between rear leaf spring and frame. Really reduces the sway. Others are sold on beefier sway bars. As far as general advice, I would suggest reading through the varioius posts in the catagories here: electrical, body, etc. Lots of great tips and info.
funtwodrv
Weekend Camper

Post by funtwodrv »

What I have learned for this site on the subject is to verify the tire proper size and weight rating, ensure tire pressure and alignment are correct. Next is to assess the condition of the shocks. If they need replacing, go with something like the Bilstein or a good gas shock within your target budget. Check the condition of the sway bar bushings and replace as necessary. If you're still not comfortable, consider the air bags mentioned above and/or go with a rear sway bar and larger front bar. I can't think of the brand right now but, search the site for recommendations.

Good luck,
Gary
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

Nice suggestions, I appreciate it! Yup, been scouring the forum for good ideas. Had my first overnight at Crystal Mtn and everything worked well! Just can't seem to find an open RV dump on Sunday on the drive back, they were all closed.

Tire pressure is definitely a factor with sway. Never had tires that need 80 psi before. Most gas stations won't fill that high. Les Schwab wouldn't even fill them that high as well.

Headed to Washington Pass this coming weekend to do a little ski touring, it just opened on Thursday after a long winter slumber. Can't wait for party camp at Klipchuck! I'm excited about all the possibilities this rig will offer!

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

OK, just ordered a Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer after seeing many recommendations on it. Little pricey and a special order, but it sounds like it's worth it. Also getting the electric windows looked at and the awning plastic piece replaced on the joint. That should happen next week.

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

Anyone know if there is a company doing 4X4 conversions near the Seattle area? I'm going to use this for skiing at the passes and want to fully winterize this van. Any other suggestions on prepping for snow?

Thx!

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

Already took it on three trips this month and love it! Going to Crystal Mtn for Memorial weekend. Possibly hitting Chinook Pass as well.

Pics posted from the last three weeks, so much fun!
https://b190.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2511

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Neat little trail-head place to park at the winter gate (Hwy20)....from there the trail goes down to Ross Lake. Ross Lake National Park
Alexispapa
New User

Re: New from WA stabilizers and air suspension

Post by Alexispapa »

You mention air bag suspension, does anyone have any comments on installing air bag additions to suspension? Any comments on brands? I have a '92 B190 and I want to improve ride, but also get the rear better clearance. I often drive on desert roads with center crown, ruts, washboard and occasional rocks. Would like to raise up another 3-4 inches when on dirt road, but don't want to permanently raise with spacers. is that possible?

Considering a steering stabilizer also, so any comments on steering stabilizers from tough dog or other manufacturers?
Thanks for your thoughts.

AlexisPapa
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

I don't think adding air bags will give you that much rise...

Adding anything, like additional leafs to the springs in the rear, aftermarket coils springs in front or airbags anywhere won't improve the ride, it does just the opposite actually...