I finally got my B-Van....named her Sandy

Come in and introduce yourself!
ggeorgiagirl
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

I finally got my B-Van....named her Sandy

Post by ggeorgiagirl »

I have been cleaning and cleaning! My '91 Van is a hot mess and I am praying that some of you will help us with all of our camper questions! This is our very FIRST camping-in-something-other-than-tent experience! We have a 7 year old and a 10 year old and I (the mom) will be doing most of the traveling (hubby works). I am hoping it will be safe!
I can't wait to hear your advice!

So far, the fridge doesn't work, the air condition in the front (where you drive) doesn't work, and when you turn on the stove, it smells like gas OUTSIDE). It still has my grandparents Airstream number on the top and I would LOVE to leave it there (11111)...

GEEEEEZE....I hope that its not a total LEMON!
email me me if you have any great advice! bethbaker@bellsouth.net
BVAN and Cliff.jpg
BVAN and Cliff.jpg (40.64 KiB) Viewed 13035 times
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: I finally got my B-Van....named her Sandy

Post by Kentuckian »

Congratulations on your new (to your family) RV! Even with some kinks to work out it is a lot of fun. My wife and are in about the same circumstances. Our new ('93) B190... driver compartment AC doesn't work... refrigerator doesn't work. Same as yours! However, everything else in ours works. We do have some wear and tear to refurbish. But, nothing else major.

I wouldn't work on anything else until your resolve the propane issue.

The first thing that I would do, is mix up some dishwashing detergent with water in a squirt bottle. Turn off all your propane appliances with no flames or sparks anywhere. Then open the main valve on your propane tank and squirt soapy water on each fitting on the tank, gas line joints and then all connection points to the appliances. You want the soapy water to completely fill the joints and see if any of them bubble. If you don't find that leak with the soapy water, you are going to have to use your ears and nose to try to find the leak. Follow each propane line from the tank towards each appliance. Use the soapy water on any fittings or kinks or suspicous spots along the lines.

Once you have confirmed that you do not have a propane leak at the tank or in any of the lines out to the appliances, then you can turn your attention to the appliances themselves. Here you need to check shut off valve, burner valves, pilot light valves, etc.

I am assuming that you are smelling the propane outside on the side of the RV with the side entry door? Since you are smelling the propane outside the RV, I would start by checking the refridgerator, then the water heater. Both of those burner assemblies are open to the outside of the RV on the side door side.

It goes without saying that you shouldn't be using the RV or leaving the propane tank valve open until you find the leak. And don't stop after fixing one leak. There might be more than one.

Lets us know what you find.
1993 Airstream B190
ggeorgiagirl

Post by ggeorgiagirl »

Thank you, Kentuckian!

The camper is now pretty clean....and my family is getting more excited about the future camping prospects! We are taking it to the Georgia/Florida game in the morning. We are then going to work on the leak! Let's hope that it doesn't blow up! The gas is turned off and we won't use it!

I will let you know how it goes!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

ggeorgiagirl wrote:Thank you, Kentuckian!

The camper is now pretty clean....and my family is getting more excited about the future camping prospects! We are taking it to the Georgia/Florida game in the morning. We are then going to work on the leak! Let's hope that it doesn't blow up! The gas is turned off and we won't use it!

I will let you know how it goes!
GO DAWGS! (I went to UGA for grad school.)

Welcome to the forum!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
ggeorgiagirl

Post by ggeorgiagirl »

WHAT A GAME, Skater!
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

ggeorgiagirl wrote:WHAT A GAME, Skater!
The good news: if they win out, they go to the SEC Championship game.

The bad news: It's probably against Bama, and I don't think they'll make mistakes like Florida did.

ggeorgiagirl

Post by ggeorgiagirl »

Hey Friends....when we drove our van for the first time (after we cleaned it very well) roach poop flew everywhere! I'm sooooo grossed out! I think that it fell from all the dirty fans! ewwwww The kids are spazzzzzing out to take it for a weekend but I cannot deal with it until I know that is spic-and-span!

We are figuring out things, little by little! Thank heavens for the manuel and B190 Enthusiasts!

* I need to scrape the old tent off...it is GROSS looking! Hopefully, we will tackle it this weekend!
* The upper matresses are mildewy...but the slip covers washed nicely

Where does the table go? It is in the closet but I cannot figure out where the heck to screw it in!

Can you tell I'm the chick....only worried about the cleanliness and where stuff goes...maybe I should worry about the gas smell and how to drain the toilet first!?? oh well
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Wakeslayer »

in order to clean the front vent fan, you have to remove the top cap. It is 4 bolts, either 3/8" or 7/16". Took 15 minutes.

As far as the table, you should have a plate in front of the couch with a big hole in it. There should be a similar looking mount on the under side of the table. Lastly, you should have a pole that goes between them. Some info here
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Wakeslayer wrote:in order to clean the front vent fan, you have to remove the top cap. It is 4 bolts, either 3/8" or 7/16". Took 15 minutes.
FYI, Camping World sells snap-in screens for the Fantastic Fan that replace the ones with screws. I did this in our trailer since someone had stripped the screw holes. I think it was like $15.