busted bedroom window?

Maintenance of the body of the camper
DavidP
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

busted bedroom window?

Post by DavidP »

Cruising down the road doing about 65-70 and all of a sudden the bedroom glass shatters blowing safety glass around and nearly giving my girl a hart attack. Looking at the replacement window, it is curved. The glass that was in the B if I can remember might have been flat? And it definitely wasn't laminated or the dam thing wouldn't have scattered safety glass everywhere! I know it was replaced at sometime because the blue airstream letters were not on it. I am looking for information on the glass, part # 195329-167. Is this a common problem with the B? Was it suppose to be laminated? Seeing that the glass, gasket and shipping is going to set me back about $650 I am just a little gun-shy worried this might happen again! Any input about this situation would be appreciated!
Dave
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: busted bedroom window?

Post by skater »

I take it this was the large glass in front? It should be essentially a windshield. I had to have one replaced after a branch hit it and cracked it (in the windshield sense, not completely shattered - my original was definitely laminated).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
DavidP
Weekend Camper

Post by DavidP »

Yes it was the large one up front. I found your thread "save your upper front windshield" after putting the part # in the search box. A picture says a thousand words! Especially the one with the manufacturer and the word "LAMINATED!" I don't know what moron would have replaced the glass with a piece of safety glass. I am not even sure how they got it to fit? When the glass shattered it was like a tornado of glass flying through the RV! I am mostly glad me or Brenda didn't get it in our eyes! Now I would have to assume that the correct windshield being laminated and with new stripping would fit correctly and not explode actually crack unless I hit something!
DavidP
Weekend Camper

Post by DavidP »

Just a little update on my bedroom window. The window is now manufactured by Guardian in the USA and was drop shipped from them. The seal and lock were drop shipped from airstream. The cost of the glass 195329-167 is $534.72. The seal 195329-168 was $2.33 a ft. and the lock 195329-166 was $1.87 a ft. They sell you 15' automatically but I have a little more then 3' extra. A little extra is always better then not enough. If you really want to save $10 maybe just order 13' of each so you would still have a little more then a foot extra. The total order was $597.72. The crating and shipping has dramatically increased. The crate fee was $75 and the shipping was $175 which made this whole endeavor $847.72 I received the seal and lock in 5 days UPS and the windshield arrived the next day Fed Ex freight. The local glass shop wanted $125 to install it but me and my son put it in in about 30 minutes. Two cheep 4" suction cups, some mini plastic pry bars, the Lisle 47000 lock strip installer and some Mr. Clean multi purpose cleaner to keep things lubed. Window cleaner was recommended but it seemed to dry out too quickly and I had the Mr. clean on hand and it stayed wet and slippery much longer. We used Duct tape to hold the temporary card board cover on and it took longer to remove the glue from the tape then it did to install the windshield. Fold a shop towel in half, saturate it with 2+2, let stand for 30 + seconds and wipe off glue. It is a painstaking task but it works and all the glue will be removed by the 2nd time around. I recommend wearing gloves because the glue will stick to your hands and the 2+2 isn't the best thing to let saturate your hands.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Post by lido14co »

Thanks for posting. This is great information to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Junkyard_sal
B190 Year: 1991

Post by Junkyard_sal »

Hello,

The seal 195329-168 was $2.33 a ft. is not available. I think someone posted that there is an equivalent seal available at McMaster-Carr.

the lock 195329-166 was $1.87 a ft. is available.