Replacement cabin roof vent

Maintenance of the body of the camper
ggeorgiagirl
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Re: Replacement cabin roof vent

Post by ggeorgiagirl »

Thanks Kentuckian! I am ordering one for Christmas! My van is now cleaned and ready (sort of) but since it rains ALL the time in south Georgia, I need to have this fixed before we head out for the first time! Your instructions will help my hubby fix it properly!

Have you decided on a replacement for the bathroom vent? Model/etc?

Beth
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Hi Beth, I will be replacing the shower vent with an exact replacement. I already puchased the fan and have it in waiting on the shelf for installation. However, installation is down a ways on the todo list. <smile>

I'll see if I can find the order receipt, as I don't remember where I found the fan right now. When I find the order information, I will post it for you. Good luck with your installation. I'm sure it will go fine.
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

The vent that I purchased to replace the factory vent in the shower is the Ventline VANAIR VP-543 roof vent. Here is a specsheet from Ventline. I don't remember where I purchased it. You can find it at a number of suppliers.

http://ventline.com/i/u/6148923/f/RV_Li ... _11-11.pdf
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

I thought that I would pass along a repair that I made to our MaxxAir Roof Vent.

We found that the knob to lift and lower the roof vent was becoming increasingly difficult to turn and would occasionally seize. Looking at the parts manual I decided to replace the fan's gear box. The replacement gear box was less than $10 and simple to install. Fan operates like new again.
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

So after using the Maxxair roof vent for 5+ years... would I buy it again? Definitely, I still haven't seen a shrouded roof vent fan that I I would prefer over this one.

Hits...
- The way the vent cover is designed you can operate the fan even in the rain,
- Low profile when closed,
- Can leave it cracked open while driving without wind noise,
- Quite operation. Great for leaving fan on low at night,
- Wide speed range with lots of steps between low and high,

Misses...
- No appearance or function concerns,
- The lift mechanism gear box failed during year six. Parts are available and not too expensive... $10 for the replacement gear box.
1993 Airstream B190
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

Thanks for the follow up! It’s great to hear your opinion of the product so long after the original install. I have the stock fan with a Maxx air cover. I appreciate how it allows me to use the fan during the rain but I don’t like the additional height. Since we don’t have the budget to replace what isn’t broke, we are going to have to wait until the fan fails before we can have such a cool upgrade. Thanks again for the post!
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352