Maintenance of the body of the camper
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

'94 Cracked stripes!! ...ideas?

Post by Tucsonan »

Hello all,

I'm looking for ideas for "prettying-up" my B190's profile. My exterior paint is nearly flawless, but those once beautiful blue stripes are fading and cracking and showing her "real" age. Can they be removed without damaging the finish and calling out the pros?? If anyone has attempted this or has better ideas please drop me a note! ....Rick
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Re: '94 Cracked stripes!! ...ideas?

Post by Keystone »

I have an approach with the cracked, hazy stripes on my '94 that I'm happy with, but it may not be "pro" enough for you. First, I tried a few products that did NOT work (for example: wax did nothing, and a heavy oxidizer remover that took off a ton of the stripe color) and did not last long before the stripes developed a haze again.)

Finally, I figured out that the striping is likely vinyl and not paint. Probably everyone already knows this...

So, I am using a product that is designed to restore oxidized, exterior plastic and vinyl (http://www.meguiars.com/m-en/product/17 ... mate-black). Despite having black in its name, it is not black, but a creamy color. Use care when applying it, avoiding the van body. The first time, it took several applications, but the end result is vivid, reasonably shiny, uniform color on the striping that diminishes the appearance of the cracks (the cracks are still there, but not so obvious). Reapplication every time I wax the van body seems to keep the color up. (Don't get me wrong, it still looks like a 19-year-old van.)

I'm sure the detailing experts will have a better solution. But my van has enough other needs that are higher on the list, so I find that this is good enough for my somewhat low standards :-), and a bottle of this stuff costs $9 and I can use it for the plastic on my entire aging vehicle fleet.

Keystone
Keystone
B190 4x4
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Thanks, I will definitely look into that.

Looking around online, I found a "3M's stripe- off wheel". It's a rubber wheel that fits on a regular drill designed to take off decals and tape without harming the finish.

This is the advert.......

3M™ Stripe Off Wheel

Solid wheel designed for removal of vinyl striping tapes, decals, graphics and double sided molding tapes. Use on tools with 4,000 RPM . MOS: optimum speed is 2,000 RPM plus or minus 200.

.....Have you known anyone who has any experience with this? I thought I might order one. ..Rick

Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Keystone,

I think I will try your solution on the side decals. The one on the hood is too far gone though, ...quite a bit of it has chipped off. I think I will try the "stripe-off" wheel on it. I can always attach a bug deflector to cover it up if I wreak havoc upon the poor thing!

Thanks for your help!

Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Bug deflector---Brilliant!!! ;-)

Seriously, I'm interested in the results of your effort with the 3m wheel. I had some decals removed from my Tacoma when it was brand new ("Toyota Racing Development" slathered on both rear quarter panels didn't suit me...), and I think they used the same kind of wheel.

Post some before and after pics, please. Good luck!
Keystone
B190 4x4
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

I will, ...give me a couple of weeks to order it and give it a try. It's soccer season, and my 6 year old is hogging my time these days! I saw a video online with a guy taking some stripes off his pick-up. It didn't look too hard, ...we just have a BUNCH more stripes! :D

skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Ultimate solution: In theory you could remove the stripes entirely and get new ones from Airstream. You probably should confirm they have them first, but they carry them for the trailers so it's possible they have B190 stripes too.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Thanks skater,

I will see how the one on the hood comes off. If it works well, I will check on ordering the stripes. I could probably place them nice enough on the hood, but I would worry about the long 19 feet of the gunnel ! ...it might just look like waves. I'd better see a pro for that. ...Rick

skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yeah. If replacing the vinyl isn't an option, you could also get the stripes painted on, which is what the shop did after the accident with ours. Note that the middle of the stripe on ours was reflective, while the paint wasn't - you couldn't tell much difference during the day, but at night of course the reflective stripe was shortened.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Its just vinyl tape...shouldn't be too tough to find something very similar.

And, btw I don't think any product will restore the ole faded stripes. Been there done that.

Years ago I called Airstream and they actually had some left, along with the blue Airstream decals and
the B190 decals also....and the individual blue letters on the right side of the upper front window.

Which I needed along with that upper window for the lady in Alaska.... :roll:
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by jlidahoair »

Hello my B190 Friends, After reading all the good advice and ideas about those old fading and cracked stripes on our rigs, I did some research on the Stripe off wheel, and found them not available at the time I was ready to work.. ;-) I was able to find the Smart Eraser Pad from Astro Pneumatic tool co. (400E) I bought some (5 at $16.95 ea.), went to work, and have removed all my stripes (used up all 5). I tried using a electric drill, but that didn't spin fast enough, and was awkward to use. Needed to use a tool with rpm of 3200-4000 rpm. Fortunately I already had a Astro Power 1/4" strait Pnumatic grinder Mod. 533et (rated at 4000rpm max, and 90 psi air pressure). Has worked great so far.

I have some adhesive left to wipe off with 3m liquid. I'm contemplating leaving the stripes off. Not sure I want to take them off again someday. Ha. It was a lot of work. I worked about an hour at a time, and it took about 6 hrs so far. I'm pleased with results so far, with some exceptions. Not serious ones. Some original paint was poorly done, and it flipped off with some of the sticker. will have to retouch, or repaint.

It looks much better Stripeless than with the faded old cracked ones.
Please advise how you all made out with your stripes posted last year. ~~
I'll post some pics when I get the remainder of the adhesive off.
How did your stripe removal projects work out?
Best Regards my Friends, and Good Luck..
JL
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

Some purists may not like this idea, but the lettering on the fiberglass top, "Airstream B190" was faded and severely cracked on my 1994. To extend the life and brighten the paint, I actually painted back the lettering using acrylic paint by hand. I found some craft paint that matched exactly. I painted the lettering twice following the outline of the old lettering. When finished, I sprayed the repainted area with artist's fixative, sealing the job. Only took about an hour to do both sides and the results have lasted two years so far. Caution...clean area well before starting the job so that the later fixative spray doesn't cover any dirt or residue. Can't tell that it's hand painted from 3 feet away...good enough. I haven't tried this on cracked vinyl striping on the body but it might be worth a try to fill in the crack lines and seal them somewhat. I also tried spraying fixative on half the roof after cleaning with "Barkeepers Friend" to get all the oxidation off. The fixative seemed to seal the fiberglass and stopped the streaking lines down the body of the camper after it rains. Will do the other side now.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

For faded and cracked striping, i finally resorted to paint. I found a new product at Lowe's called Rust-Oleum Universal Bonding Primer. It's a light grey color and bonds topcoat to difficult surfaces.

Procedure: 1. Carefully tape off the stripe ( mine was the lighter blue stripe) Sand down the stripe with 400 grit paper till fairly smooth. 2. Spray with primer and sand with 400 grit till the edge of the painters tape starts to reveal itself. Do this several times till the cracks disappear.
3. Finish with Rust-Oleam Gloss 7724 Sail Blue also available at Lowe's.

I also tried this on the thick middle seam which had deteriorated from the sun. Prime with the same primer and overcoat with the same color.