Walking on roof

Maintenance of the body of the camper
festie

Walking on roof

Post by festie »

Is it ok to walk on the roof of a b190 or some way to make that safe for the van?

I've seen ones with ladders and rails but mine does not have these.

I'd like to be able to climb up there.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: Walking on roof

Post by Kentuckian »

The fiberglass roof is pretty thick. I weigh 165 and walk on mine all the time. To prevent stressing the fiberglass. I do try to take gentle steps, walk flat footed, distribute my weight when possible and I try to stay away from where the roof has been drilled or cut. I place a small peice of plywood down when I work on up there. That gives me something to kneel on rather than concentrating the weight.
1993 Airstream B190
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Be gentle and don't stomp around. I've been up a few times usually on hands and knees cleaning and gel coating with no problem

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
festie

Post by festie »

Thanks all.

Seems like they removed the ladder in '97, which is my year. It's almost impossible to climb up without that. :-/
Using Tapatalk
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Reddeer »

My 1993 has spent its life in AZ and NM. The finish was gone, and there was a lot of oxidized fiberglass. There are some small stress cracks in mine, and I was very gentle in my movements up there as I replaced the main vent. I ended up painting the top half with yacht quality paint last month.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

The 1997 and later rigs are about 6-plus inches narrower across the top...helps to to be very careful up there staying close to the edges where its somewhat stronger....hands & knees will obviously distribute your weight better.

Also that front overhang was reduced by about 20-inch, 1997 and newer.

Airstream installing the spare inside wasn't a bad idea IMO...cleans up the back and gets all that weight/bracket off the LH door hinges

Same year they ditched the rear ladder and roof rack...another good idea. There is virtually no room on top anyway to tie anything down successfully.

And yes....1996 was the last year for a swivel drivers seat......they were a bitch to turn around anyway.. !
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

I have a 1996, I weigh 220lbs, and have been on the roof several times putting a cover on and off. I spread my wight as best I can trying to avoid the solar panels and various vents. Seems to do fine, avoiding that slanted section seems to be key...