Removing Stains on Dometic Awning

Maintenance of the body of the camper
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Removing Stains on Dometic Awning

Post by nvestysly »

We opened the awning today for the 2nd time on the B190 my sister-in-law purchased. The first time we opened the awning was a month ago when the van was purchased. At that time we looked, didn't see any major problems, so we moved on to the next item on the list of things to check when purchasing a B190.

Today we figured we'd wash and dry it and everything would be fine. The washing didn't work as well as expected. Yes, the major dirt was removed with a thorough wash on top and underneath the vinyl fabric. But there are several stains on the vinyl because the awning was stowed with a dozen or so leaves wrapped up into the awning. The leaves leached onto the vinyl and we cannot get the stubborn stains off with soap and water. I called Dometic and they said a mild bleach solution can be used - 1/4 cup in five gallons of water. I'll try that tomorrow but I'm guessing it won't do much good. I'll let you know.

So I'm hanging out tonight, and asking for your opinions or your first hand experience. What have you done to wash your awning? How did you remove stains?

Thanks, Lucius
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Re: Removing Stains on Dometic Awning

Post by lido14co »

I use a household bathroom cleaner with bleach. Cleans nicely and gets rid of any mildew. I use a stiff brush and this seems to get out any minor staining. Awning is off white with blue stripes. Good luck!

Cliff
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Re: Removing Stains on Dometic Awning

Post by jb1rd73 »

Agree with the bleach and stiff brush on a long handle of pole, mine was filthy from road grime and non use the previous 2 owners never used it. I should have gotten before and after pictures. I used a mixture of laundry detergent and bleach with warm water, you can pre treat heavy stains. Hope this helps or you already found success.