Awnings....type? mount on fiberglass or van?? favorites?

Maintenance of the body of the camper
Jitterbug
New User

Awnings....type? mount on fiberglass or van?? favorites?

Post by Jitterbug »

Hi! I'm a newbie... I want to add an awning but am getting overwhelmed with info from RV places & info "online." I'm not thrilled to attach anything to the fiberglass "Airsteam" portion..... I think I prefer on the van part but clearance is tight obviously.... Then there's "bag" awnings...oh my word!! Any input would be appreciated. Thank you! Jitterbug, Orlando, FL
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Awnings....type? mount on fiberglass or van?? favorites?

Post by skater »

Jitterbug wrote:Hi! I'm a newbie... I want to add an awning but am getting overwhelmed with info from RV places & info "online." I'm not thrilled to attach anything to the fiberglass "Airsteam" portion..... I think I prefer on the van part but clearance is tight obviously.... Then there's "bag" awnings...oh my word!! Any input would be appreciated. Thank you! Jitterbug, Orlando, FL
The original awnings on them are called "case" awnings, and they're made by Dometic (their Horizon line). I think they run about $750 installed. You're probably not going to find anything else that fits. They were mounted to the fiberglass by Airstream, so no worries there.

For what it's worth, they're actually a pretty well-made awning. I've had mine all apart (due to it collapsing after I left it open without a way to drain during a bad rainstorm - totally my fault) and I was surprised by how well constructed they really are. I have some pictures of it here.

The newer ones look quite a bit nicer, but I think they operate on essentially the same principles.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit