Poli Glow (Poli Ox) Fiberglass Reconditioning

Maintenance of the body of the camper
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Poli Glow (Poli Ox) Fiberglass Reconditioning

Post by nvestysly »

I know there is a thread (or two) on the subject of removing oxidation from the fiberglass tops on B190's but thought the subject warranted a new thread based on a friends recent oxidation removal and reconditioning project. Our friend performed the work on the front fiberglass section of his SOB trailer. The results look good. I'm only posting three pictures in this initial write-up but I am willing to post more pictures if you like. As I said, it's an SOB but I think the process should work for B190 tops too.

Does anyone have direct or indirect experience with the Poli Glow products shown here: http://www.poliglow-int.com/ These are the products my friend used and he's very pleased with the results. The Poli Ox step was very labor intensive. He washed/rubbed the fiberglass front on his trailer for probably six hours! He was sore to say the least. The Poli Ox process did not adversely affect the vinyl decals.
Attachments
Oxidation on top corner - looks pretty bad
Oxidation on top corner - looks pretty bad
21132954301_fc5b904d92_z.jpg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
After Poli Ox (oxidation removal) there is a dull sheen
After Poli Ox (oxidation removal) there is a dull sheen
21125212355_c7de5df257_z.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
After Poli Glow final step and it looks fabulous
After Poli Glow final step and it looks fabulous
20937111280_1dbdd6b560_z.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Re: Poli Glow (Poli Ox) Fiberglass Reconditioning

Post by Tucsonan »

That looks nice. If it lasts a few years, 6 hours might be worth it. Did he use a rotary tool? ...or just muscle?
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

Muscle. I looked at the Poli Glow web site and the product comes with a scrub brush that looks something like a 3M Scotch Brite pad - don't know the details but that's what it looks like. Some of the information I saw on the web site indicates you can use very fine wet/dry sandpaper if needed - 6000 grit (?) if I remember correctly.

The Poli Ox process is the most labor intensive. The Poli Glow application only required a matter of minutes to apply. Keep in mind he was only doing the front cap. Poli Glow simply wipes on and dries quickly so he did sections and moved his way around the cap. When he got to the other side, the first part was dry so he applied a second coat, repeated until he had applied several coats.

The web site indicates the Poli Glow (final, easy step) must be done once a year. Since that's the easy part, applying a few refresher coats periodically should not be a problem.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Thanks for the information
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Looks nice!

Cliff
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I was looking at various ways to restore the color and wax the top. I've tried some labor intensive products but it's a tough job. I was researching boat maintenance and several folks swore by petroleum jelly. I tried it on my badly oxidized top. Use a sponge, the scrubby side. Rub the jelly in to the surface and leave it in the sun for a few hours. The jelly fills the pores in the surface and the scrubby sponge will remove some of the oxidation. Polish it with a clean rag and the surface will look great. When through, wax it with whatever you like. The waxing process is so much easier with a smooth surface. If you just want to use the jelly once in a while and wipe it off, it will repel water. Also the jelly will remove black streaks but get the bug guts off first. One oldtimer in a boatyard said a 50\50 solution of rubbing alcohol a d baby oil works too but I haven't tried that.