Running Board Mod

Maintenance of the body of the camper
BOBandDEB
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Running Board Mod

Post by BOBandDEB »

I've noticed that the later model 190's had a hinged cutout for easier access to the propane tank. I was wondering if anyone has attempted adding a cutout in their older model 190's, and how it worked out? I'm a little worried about effecting the strength of the step.
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: Running Board Mod

Post by nvestysly »

I am not very familiar with earlier model B190's (we had a 1998) but it appears the step area for the side doors extends farther to the rear compared to the 1998 model we owned. If that's true, and if that's where the propane fill is located, it may be difficult to cut a door to access the propane fill.

How difficult is it to fill the tank? Yes, our 1998 had a door so that provided a better view of the fill area. However, if I wanted to read the gage on the tank I still had to lay on the ground. In addition, once the propane hose was attached to the tank the nozzle was at such an angle I could actually close the door. My point is, there may not be much value in cutting a door opening. Maybe a portable mirror or adding a remote fill hose would be more useful.

Regarding the step... Our 1998 step came from the factory with a rather flimsy 1/8" thick (or less) angle bracket to support the step area. I removed the thin bracket and replaced it with a 1/4" thick piece of angle. The step is rock solid now and will hold much more weight than the original factory support.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
BOBandDEB
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by BOBandDEB »

I looked closely at the step on our '94. It would be possible to cut a door in it, but would require an angle bracket, (like the one you mentioned), on either side of the cutout, for support. You can buy a remote fill and bleed valve for relocating, for under 200 bucks, but I can't find a suitable place to mount it. I think the best idea is to provide a door mat for the station attendant to kneel on is the easiest way to go.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

I drive our 92 up on a set of blocks for easier filling. The attendants are very happy with that solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk