Window behind couch

Maintenance of the body of the camper
JimF
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Window behind couch

Post by JimF »

I am a new owner of a 1996. This is a great forum and has already been most helpful. In fact I found my van here through the want ads.

I've read through most of the posts and have not found my questions addressed elsewhere so here goes. In a previous life the window behind the couch leaked and rotted the paneling. I have removed the paneling and made a replacement, but am curious as to the sealing of the window. Apparently in an attempt to stop the leak there was lots of caulk like material stuffed down in the gap between the outside top of the window and the side of the body. Taking the paneling out required removing the inside trim which is what apparently actually holds the window snug against the body. Mine had pieces of styrofoam around the window on the inside and a piece of 1x3 that fell out when I removed the paneling. I'm not sure where that actually was located. As yet I have not removed the window completely.

Now to my questions. Is there any gasket around the window or is it just sealed with RV window sealer material? Do those of you that have experience with this recommed I remove the window and remove all the old sealer before I put it back together? The window is of course flat and the side of the van has a slight curve to it so it appears that the top and bottom of the window will not fit snuggly against the side of the van, Is that correct? If so I can see where the sealant is important To snug the window as tightly as possible is apparently what the styrofoam and 1x3 were for and it would seem that putting those pieces in the right place would be critical to have a snug window, but maybe I'm missing something and they don't have anything to do with the sealing of the window at all.

I'm pretty handy and will tackle most anything so I can figure out something, but would like to do it right and maybe not have to redo it too many times. Any experiences and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Window behind couch

Post by Planck »

Jim
i have not had that window out, but on my 93, the window appears to be installed the same way as the upper, large, side windows. You are right about the curvature, which also exists on the upper windows. I repaired those leaky windows several years ago(glass had separated from the butyl), and there are several threads here on that topic. Even the part number of the rubber molding that helps hold the glass in is listed. Anyway, those upper windows are sealed by a strip of butyl, available at most auto glass shops. As I recall, I used the 1/8" version. Once that is put around the edge of the opening, the glass is pressed in and should stay in place long enough to install the rubber strip that helps hold it in. this rubber strip is the hardest part to install and heat/soap helps. My windows have been leak free ever since.

Phil
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

I had to reseal all of my windows last year - same issue with random caulk jammed down around the edges, etc...
Remove the window frame inside the van (lots of screws), then pull it out from the outside - just lots of butyl rubber like the previous post said. Clean it all up, line it with some butyl tape, put it back in and reinstall the inside frame to pull it snug against the van and compress the butyl.

This page has a couple of pictures I took when doing the windows - really should've taken more, just for this reason... but at least you can see what the van looks like without the window - give you an idea of how it stays in.
https://plus.google.com/photos/10716585 ... KvYs_qAmwE
JimF

Post by JimF »

Thanks to planck and slapthecat.

You both have provided good information. I am going to definitely remove the window and clean all the old caulk off it and the van. I'll get some of the butyl tape and see about reinstalling it.

Jim
JimF

Post by JimF »

Slapthecat,
I noticed in your photo with the side window removed that yours has wood strips on each side of the window on the inside. That appears to be like the piece of 1x3 wood that fell out of mine when I removed the paneling. I could not tell from the pic, but do you remember if it had wood strips on all four sides? Thanks,
Jim
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

Bah. I can't remember. Pretty sure there was wood on the sides and the bottom - can't remember if there was any up top. Although, I don't see any problems with wood all around...
JimF

Post by JimF »

Slapthecat, I think you are right about there probably not being any problem with putting wood all around it. It's just a matter of pulling the window snug against the body, I'll probably try that and see how it works once the rain quits here and I can take out the window. Thanks