Does Anyone Have a 2000 B190

Maintenance of the body of the camper
Sheila G
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 2000

Does Anyone Have a 2000 B190

Post by Sheila G »

I was so excited, I finally got my B190 this week but unfortunately I have not been able to use it. The cover over the water tank underneath the van fell down and I can't drive it. The seller is sending an RV guy to my house to repair it this week. I have concerns tho because even after it's fixed, the tank is very low to the ground with very little clearance. I'm worried that even going over a speed bump will knock it down. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Also does anyone know where I can get a copy of the manual for a 2000? I found one on the web for the 1997 model but nothing for 2000.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
SheilaG
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Re: Does Anyone Have a 2000 B190

Post by Mark »

Both my freshwater tank (right behind the rear axle) and the gray tank hung down quite low. Really, the only solution is to order new tanks that are measured to fit right up into the frame. That's what I did and now my tanks are fully protected by the frame. It's not a small job, it's not uncomplicated or inexpensive. Sorry. I drive on a lot of dirt roads and fixing that problem was a must.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
Sheila G
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 2000

Post by Sheila G »

Thanks Mark. Well that's a real bummer, I haven't even got out of the driveway yet. Do you know if a regular car mechanic can modify this or do I need to take it to an RV place? About how much will this fix cost?

Thanks.
SheilaG
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997

Post by Mark »

Don't despair. Go out! Have fun! Search this forum but I really don't think you'll find stories of them being ripped off left and right. Mine was like that and had been driven 45K miles before I bought it. I drive on a lot of dirt roads so it was a concern for me but e aware and be cautious but don't let it stop you from getting out and having fun.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy. I have a 1999. Can you send a pic of your set up and problem? I'll take a few of mine so we can compare.
Hubie
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Hubie »

Hi,
I have a 1999 B190 (Airstream said it was 99, but the chassis is 98) and my fresh water tank fell off from under the camper when the tank was about 2/3s full of water. Now that will ruin your day. It was dragged on the road a short distance in front of the rear axle but I was able to stop and pull it from under the camper and return home. I repaired the tank and cover and reattached everything under the camper at the same location it was originally but I made it more secure than before this fiasco. The fresh water tank in my 190 is surrounding by thin metal sheeting creating about a 1 inch airspace between the water tank and the metal sheeting. Some hot air from the furnace is diverted into this air space to keep the water from freezing. The thin metal around the water tank has a few bolts to the van frame and that is the only thing holding the fresh water tank. When I put everything back together, I added more fasteners.

I now know this whole arrangement is an accident waiting to happen. You can read my post about all this under the plumbing section of this forum. The post is entitled "water tank fell off while driving".

I have the 99 190B manual. If you need me to make a copy, let me know.

Hubert (Hubie)