The gray running boards

Maintenance of the body of the camper
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

The gray running boards

Post by Mark »

I've always wanted the gray, fiberglass running boards on my rig to look nice. I've washed them, I've use some fiberglass restorer, Fiberglass "armor all" on them but they always looked mottled and faded.
I'm just back from 2.5 months in Baja and was doing an extensive cleaning on my rig when I started wonder if Isopropyl alcohol might clean them up. I did a test and let it dry and sure enough, they are a nice solid, dark color again! It took only a little bit of rubbing but they look great!
Last edited by Mark on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Re: The gray running boards

Post by 190-b-651 »

Thanks for the info I wasted mine yesterday its looking like saving the paint isn't going to be possible do to lack of attention from previous owner just on the driver side. The skirting on that side is sun-baked pretty well I'll give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

190-b-651 wrote:Thanks for the info I washed mine yesterday its looking like saving the paint isn't going to be possible do to lack of attention from previous owner just on the driver side. The skirting on that side is sun-baked pretty well I'll give that a try.

Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

That is a neat find! I would quickly coat them with a sealer. Armor-all or something like it.

I do know from past experience that alcohol can "craze" polymer surfaces and cause them to age quickly.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

My running boards were in pretty bad shape as well. Lots of spider cracks and greyed to the point of almost white.
I took them off, sanded them down, used some bondo to fill in the spider cracks, and hit them with the Rustoleum Bumper and Trim paint. Looks great!
ZachS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by ZachS »

Mine were in good shape when I got the rig, but one side was weathered down to white fiberglass on 1 side. It really diminished the appearance of the outside. Once I saw how easy it was to take off the skirts, I decided a quick and dirty cosmetic cover was worth a try. I found a good match in "Rustoleum Universal Advanced Formula Metallic Paint and Primer in One". Flat finish, "Soft Iron" color. I wish i had before pics. I'll post the results in a minute. I was able to peel the treads off and re-attach them with 3M permanent mounting tape. Looks a lot better and the color is darn close to the original based on what I uncovered when I took them off. We'll see how long it lasts. My long term plan is to coat them with roll-on bedliner in a dark grey. I also plan to do the top of the dome in light grey. I have done this bedliner treatment to the roof of my sprinter and it looks great and protects the roof marvelously.
ZachS
Weekend Camper

Post by ZachS »

ZachS wrote:Mine were in good shape when I got the rig, but one side was weathered down to white fiberglass on 1 side. It really diminished the appearance of the outside. Once I saw how easy it was to take off the skirts, I decided a quick and dirty cosmetic cover was worth a try. I found a good match in "Rustoleum Universal Advanced Formula Metallic Paint and Primer in One". Flat finish, "Soft Iron" color. I wish i had before pics. I'll post the results in a minute. I was able to peel the treads off and re-attach them with 3M permanent mounting tape. Looks a lot better and the color is darn close to the original based on what I uncovered when I took them off. We'll see how long it lasts. My long term plan is to coat them with roll-on bedliner in a dark grey. I also plan to do the top of the dome in light grey. I have done this bedliner treatment to the roof of my sprinter and it looks great and protects the roof marvelously.
You can see the fiberglass is crazed and cracked, but with fresh paint, you don't notice until you are 2 feet away. Even then, they look pretty good. Time will tell how it lasts. Still, we looked a little nicer at my wife's family reunion last week.

Total time to remove, pressure wash, hit with Scotch Brite, wine with solvent, paint and re-inspection was about 3 hours work plus drying time. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

That looks good thanks for the info.

ZachS
Weekend Camper

Post by ZachS »

ZachS wrote:
ZachS wrote:Mine were in good shape when I got the rig, but one side was weathered down to white fiberglass on 1 side. It really diminished the appearance of the outside. Once I saw how easy it was to take off the skirts, I decided a quick and dirty cosmetic cover was worth a try. I found a good match in "Rustoleum Universal Advanced Formula Metallic Paint and Primer in One". Flat finish, "Soft Iron" color. I wish i had before pics. I'll post the results in a minute. I was able to peel the treads off and re-attach them with 3M permanent mounting tape. Looks a lot better and the color is darn close to the original based on what I uncovered when I took them off. We'll see how long it lasts. My long term plan is to coat them with roll-on bedliner in a dark grey. I also plan to do the top of the dome in light grey. I have done this bedliner treatment to the roof of my sprinter and it looks great and protects the roof marvelously.
You can see the fiberglass is crazed and cracked, but with fresh paint, you don't notice until you are 2 feet away. Even then, they look pretty good. Time will tell how it lasts. Still, we looked a little nicer at my wife's family reunion last week.

Total time to remove, pressure wash, hit with Scotch Brite, wine with solvent, paint and re-inspection was about 3 hours work plus drying time. ImageImageImageImage

This is as close as I can find to a before pic. Unfortunately, this was the good side to begin with.Image

lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Looks great. Thanks for the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990