range hood exhaust vent

Maintenance of the body of the camper
okaynagan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

range hood exhaust vent

Post by okaynagan »

During our shakedown trip we noticed a heck of a lot of noise coming from flapper on the vent. We stuffed a towel up it to keep the flapper from making noise for the duration of the trip.
stove vent on 95' b190
stove vent on 95' b190
vent.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 13043 times
On closer examination the exterior vent cover designed to keep rain, bugs and dust out of the van with an outside manual release damper on our 190 has the two tabs (hinges) broken off; more than likely this is normal wear and tear for the years it has on it.

We repaired the damper with two finishing nails covered with heat shrink at the ends. Finishing nails are held in place by melting the plastic with a soldering iron and the addition of thin wire filaments to hold the nails in place. See enclosed image . We believe the repair is actually more durable than the original plastic tabs. But it is not pretty however anyone looking up our vent deserves to see something ugly. Replacement of the hold vent unit is probably cheap enough if you must have pretty but it will only break again after a few years. Quite frankly we'd rather have the 25 bucks in our pockets for other van expenditures.
detail of tab repair
detail of tab repair
damper detail.jpg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 13043 times
One must go the outside the van to manual release damper, the damper automatically opens when the range hood fan is activated to allow vapors from cooking to be exhausted. The damper automatically closes to prevent insects and dust from entering when the range hood is not in operation, theoretically. However the manual release damper must be secured before driving off down the road. We placed a paper towel underneath the flapper to prevent road vibrations making noise and/or releasing the damper.
anti flapper towel placement
anti flapper towel placement
up vent.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 13043 times
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: range hood exhaust vent

Post by Choptop »

Good to know, will have to look at mine.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The one on mine is pretty beat up, but it's a different design that's more internal to the body and not made any more. :( There's tape on it to keep it closed for now.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

I’ve replaced the vent twice in six years. Very poor design job with the tiny plastic pins on the flap. I finally gave up and cut my own plastic flap as the last one fell out on the road. I put Velcro tabs on the new piece and up in the vent cover. So far so good and no rattling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

Glad for this post because the vent cover on our B190 did not have a vent cover flap and I put some silver lined insulation in it during winterization so nothing would get in there. Anybody got the link for ordering another one? I need to replace the whole thing because the outside is cracked,chipped AND no flap.

Funny, how when you get a lot fixed on your rig you tell yourself "I am ready to roll" and then those few little items like this Vent Cover Flap creeps into your consciousness.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Damn it, why didn't I see this post yesterday when it was 57 and balmy, not today when it is 20degree's windy and 1" of snow on the ground ! Had to venture out and look at mine and their is nothing up their, not any indication of anything, how it was mounted... :(
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

Post by okaynagan »

mountaindent wrote:Glad for this post because the vent cover on our B190 did not have a vent cover flap and I put some silver lined insulation in it during winterization so nothing would get in there. Anybody got the link for ordering another one? I need to replace the whole thing because the outside is cracked,chipped AND no flap.

Funny, how when you get a lot fixed on your rig you tell yourself "I am ready to roll" and then those few little items like this Vent Cover Flap creeps into your consciousness.

It is on sale at camping world right now http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... BgQAvD_BwE
and even cheaper on amazon which come right to the front door https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-J116AWH-C- ... haust+vent
Guess no one buys these in the winter.
One can even buy just the flapper on amazon, what do ya know!
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Thanks for those 2 links, seems our choices are limited.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Just ordered the one on Amazon, seems like one company makes most of them. Reviews sat they are cheaply made and no UV inhibitors in plastic so yellow fairly quickly, oh well, better than having stinging insects coming threw and if a person remembers to secure your flap, I always make sure mine is secure, :) their should be no problems.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

So, that is why they turn that putrid yellow look. I ordered just now off Amazon and glad to get one that has a flap to keep critters out. Thank you for this post!
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

Post by okaynagan »

your welcome :D
here's a link to just the flapper https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-JRP2120B-W ... +hood+vent

here the full image of the repaired flapper
replaced tabs with finishing nails on the b190 range vent damper
replaced tabs with finishing nails on the b190 range vent damper
damper.jpg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 12816 times
Buuurrrt
New User
B190 Year: 0

Post by Buuurrrt »

Does anyone know if I can use this vent instead? Looks like the OEM vent is no longer available..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V ... MNL0&psc=1