Stopping those pesky leaks

Maintenance of the body of the camper
8Track
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Stopping those pesky leaks

Post by 8Track »

I was having issues with a small leak coming through my overhead window seal and was well on it's way to causing a lot of future headaches. I was prepared to take my rig into a shop to have all of my windows resealed before I found this product called Captain Tolley's. I read a lot of positive reviews (mostly by people who had used it on marine applications) and thought I'd give it a shot before dropping hundreds of dollars at a RV shop. It's a liquid rubber sealant that's flexible and dries clear- I figured if it's good enough for use on fiberglass boats, it should work on the 190 top. I spent about an hour running it along all of the window seals on the rig and anywhere that was questionable where I thought water could find it's way in. I gave the main spot on the overhead window a few passes, letting it dry and then coming back a few times over just to be safe. You just run it along the edges and if there's any spots where there's a break in the seal, the liquid disappears and fills in the gap. It's quite runny so just be mindful of drips. After two days of rain here in Nashville, I gave it an inspection and no more leaks! I couldn't be happier with the results. From what I've read online, people have said that it's held up for years without any further issues. Fingers crossed! I know this is an ongoing issue with owning a rolling home so I thought I'd pass on the product information just in case someone else is dealing with leaks. I plan on keeping a bottle in the 190 just in case I run into future issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udZYPuJVNkI
Rugster
Weekend Camper

Re: Stopping those pesky leaks

Post by Rugster »

It's been a while since you posted this 8track, but I just noticed it and wanted to thank you. I purchased my B190 in June of this year and have yet to go through a rainy season with it. Some of the header board with Ozite around the overcab front window, has partially pulled away from the inside of the fiberglass high-top. It should be a fairly easy fix but, before reattaching it, I want to wait through at least a few heavy rains. With the Ozite backer board hanging partially loose, it gives me easier access to the inside of the window, to see if there are any leaks. I suspect all is OK but, if there are any leaks, Captain Tolley's sounds as if it is the perfect solution. Thank you for the recommendation!