Leak testing windows

Maintenance of the body of the camper
Kajun
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Leak testing windows

Post by Kajun »

since I have my whole interior gutted because of water leaks ...I’d like to do leak tests when I reinstall my windows to make sure nothing is leaking before I start reinstalling my interior walls and cabinets......what will hold the windows in place? There was a retaining ring I removed on the inside of windows that sandwiched the window and held it in place....has anyone done this without having interior walls installed?
Jersey747
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Re: Leak testing windows

Post by Jersey747 »

I’ve done the same thing , removed those interior rings that you mentioned .......My windows are kept in with a construction glue !! But have signs of leaks everywhere ....Will be a devil of a job
Abie Sea
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989

Post by Abie Sea »

I will be interested in how the windows are attached. On a recent trip from the West Coast to Yellowstone to Jasper and back, ran into some heavy rain that seemed to enter below the front window on the bunk up along the glass and then into the bunk area. Not a drenching, but a worry. I noted that there were screws or similar devices that seem to fix the window to the shell, but apparently not to the outside of the frame. I tried Captain Tulleys sealant, but it basically drained through the gap, and may have widened it. I filled a rather large gap with silicone caulk from below and had no problems for the rest of the trip. I will be making a more thorough check on potential leaky areas and will be interested in how the windows are supposed to be attached.

At a park in Radium Hot springs, I saw a much newer version of the 190, which had omitted the windows from the front of the bunk, and we thought that was a great idea. One less problem area to consider and curtains not to have to deal with. I do not know the year, as I have lost that ability to tell vehicles by year since the early 60s. I would guess that it was within the last 5-7 years. I was in a much better shape than my 89.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I've never seen a B190 without that front window. Some other brands of campers are that way, though.

There are basically two ways a window can leak - around the edges (which is what I thought Kajun was asking about), and through the window itself for the sliding windows. The second way should only happen if the drains aren't clear (the rubber gasket doesn't even matter that much) - there's a thread where someone figured out how they work.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Abie Sea
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989

Post by Abie Sea »

It was not a true 190, it was a newer version under Okanagan. My picture was too large so I got this from a resale site. I have seen a model as new as 2008, but can find no information easily on whether they are still being produced. Prices noted were $30,000+ Canadian.
Attachments
It was not a true 190, but a newer Okanagan (2003).
It was not a true 190, but a newer Okanagan (2003).
2003.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 6125 times