Leaking window...

Maintenance of the body of the camper
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Leaking window...

Post by skater »

One of my bunk windows is leaking. I think the problem is in the rubber gasket, rather than the seal around the window itself.

Last night I was in there looking at it while it rained and I could see a steady stream of water coming from the track (i.e., where the sliding window goes). It looked as though the rubber gasket outside was allowing water past and into the track somehow. I'll play with it some more and see if I can figure it out.

I know others have asked... anyone know what the deal is on the rubber gaskets for those windows? Can we get them from Airstream?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Wanderlost
Weekend Camper

Post by Wanderlost »

Anxious to hear as our window over the couch leaks too. I'll have to watch it the next time it rains. Portland is no prob with rain :)
B190 1996
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Wanderlost wrote:Anxious to hear as our window over the couch leaks too. I'll have to watch it the next time it rains. Portland is no prob with rain :)
:lol:

We had a good bit of rain Tuesday night but I haven't had the chance to get into the camper to check it. I plan to look this evening but by then it might have dried out of its own accord.

I took a garden hose to it last weekend to see if I could see where it was leaking in, and nada. I'm retracting my theory that it's leaking in via the rubber gasket.

I noticed that the caulk between the window and the fiberglass top (outside) was cracked near the corner, so I cleaned it off and put some fresh caulk on it. A couple days later I noticed that the new caulk had split...

I did find last weekend that a number of the screws holding the window in place were somewhat loose. I tightened those up. My theory now is that the window was somewhat loose in the fiberglass top, which allowed it to move too much, thereby cracking the caulk that seals it. (Which reminds me, I should check the other windows...)

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm taking it on a trip next week so I need to put the bunk back together this weekend regardless of whether it's actually fixed. I plan to put some new caulk on it again and just see what happens with it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit