Water Leak Passenger Seat Mid-SunVisor

Maintenance of the body of the camper
lv2roam
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Water Leak Passenger Seat Mid-SunVisor

Post by lv2roam »

Having trouble finding source of leak. 1998 van, no indication of leakage from upper bunk windows. Trying to understand how fiberglass top is attached to van and possible intrusion between the fiberglass top and the van body - but have never heard of anyone having that problem. Recently caught in a major downpour and had lots of water dripping onto the passenger dashboard and ultimately across the entire dash.

Added some flowing sealer at the windshield upper gasket but it did not stop the problem.

Ideas and maybe pictures of the van / top junction under the front bunk.

Also, tried to remove the upper bunk bottom slider - how to you do that? Haven't figured out the way to maneuver it out.

Thanks.
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Re: Water Leak Passenger Seat Mid-SunVisor

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy :) I have a 99. Start with the hose and spray low at first. Spray the windshield and see if you can replicate the leak. Save where the shell and van meet for last. If nothing, move to the shell front window, if nothing move on to the side van and shell windows. The leaks on these rigs are tricky so where you see the water is not where it is coming from. Be sure to do this on a level surface. Captain Tully’s flowing leak patch has fixed a few spots for me. Good luck. I never pulled the bed slide out so curious to hear how folks have done that on a 97-99 :) Also curios as the how the shell is attached to the van and what /how to maintain the connection over time. I have some cracking of the “material” that seems to be a heavy duty chalk. Almost looks like a weld as it’s painted the same color as the van.
lv2roam
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998

Post by lv2roam »

Thanks for the response and ideas. Finally got a good look at the joint between van and the top. It is solid and no indication of water or water damage. It must be the front windshield. I could see 17 screws through the front of the van's roof holding down the fiberglass top. Lots of sealant and in good shape. Never did figure out how to remove the bed plywood - seems it may require removing the cabinets. But, putting it all back together and probably take in and have the glass windshield re-installed - maybe get a new gasket. Thanks for the help.
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

I have a similar leak from my windshield.
One way to confirm - spray soapy water around the windshield edge outside. Blow air on the windshield seams inside and look for bubbles outside. I used a shop-vac in blower mode... lotsa bubbles...