What Brand Of Awning

Maintenance of the body of the camper
DavidP
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

What Brand Of Awning

Post by DavidP »

I want to put a awning on my 97 but from the pics of others it doesn't seem like it is a Carefree Freedom like my 94. What brand and model do you have on your B and what year?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: What Brand Of Awning

Post by skater »

DavidP wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:25 pm
I want to put a awning on my 97 but from the pics of others it doesn't seem like it is a Carefree Freedom like my 94. What brand and model do you have on your B and what year?
The originals are Dometic (some say "AE" which is a brand of Dometic's). Some of them were made by Fiamma and have the Dometic logo on them.

I've had a bit of an odyssey with mine - they'll tell you one that old is made by Fiamma, but when you actually dig into it, you find that Fiamma took over construction a year or two after mine. No matter, parts aren't available anyway! When I bought the camper back, the awning wasn't rolled up correctly and wouldn't go into the case. After fighting with it for a while last spring, I discovered someone had accidentally rolled up a pocketknife in it...when I took that out, the awning worked perfectly.

There are new "case awnings" available for them, though I can't find ones that aren't powered on Dometic's site right now. There are also "pole" awnings like this that are cheaper but also somewhat more work to set up.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
DavidP
Weekend Camper

Post by DavidP »

I actually like the Carefree Freedom. It works well and there is a newer version still called Freedom I was thinking of buying. So someone either added or replaced the awning on my 94? I will look for a Dometic in the 10' wide version.

Just a Edit, Dometic doesn't make a box awning. I found Fiammas sold out of Florida. I'll try to give them a call Friday.
DavidP
Weekend Camper

Post by DavidP »

This is what I have come up with. Box awnings are not very popular. As Skater said, Fiamma was most of the originals. These are the three I have come up with and the cheapest places to purchase.

Cheapest
Thule HideAway Awning - Direct Mount - Waterproof - 80 sq ft Item # TH490011
Black case and gray pannel only. $734.95 w/free shipping at Amazon and etrailer
Thule is a Swedish Company and don't know where they are manufactured

next
Fiamma F45S # 06280A13R Awning 3.0m (10'1") - Polar White Case with two other case colors, titanium and black, - Royal Grey Fabric only. There are only a few dealers but the cheapest is eurocampers.com because the shipping was cheaper but no matter, it will cost around $1075+ delivered. You can add the motor kit for about $450
Fiamma is a Italian Company with the awnings manufactured in Florida.

And
Carefree Freedom 351188E25 Patio Awning The case is white and the E in the part number is the color of the fabric. I like blue. There are 4 other fabric colors too. Cheapest is camping world for $1080 shipped or Amazon prime for $1088.90 And you can add the motor kit for about $280
Carefree of Colorado is exactly that, In Colorado