Screen room added to our awning

Maintenance of the body of the camper
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Screen room added to our awning

Post by weekender »

I'm looking at kits that will use the awning on our rigs to convert it to a screen room. Has anyone done this? It looks as if this unit: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... room/17097 will work with our units-- anyone btdt?

Live in New England-- itching for spring to get out camping again!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

It might work, I really don't know. Even if it's not specifically made for our awnings, you can probably make it work somehow.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by craigmar »

Hi Weekender, My van did not have a factory awning and not really having the $'s to buy and have one installed, I went a different route by installing snap hooks on the side of the van and using a couple of different sizes of tarps depending on what I want to accomplish. I purchased a screened room from Target when it was on sale and use it as an addition to the van by removing the pins holding the doors and swing them out of the way. Depending upon whether or not we are going to drive around or stay in the campground makes the decision as to whether or not we cover the whole thing with a tarp/awning or not.
If you click on the gallery pictures and go to my pictures of Ruby Lake you can see what I'm talking about. I think you could do something similar as far as a screen room and then if you want to leave it up and go for a drive you just need to deal with the awning and not have to worry about snaping and unsnaping the screen everytime you want to move the van.
Also, if you go to the general chat forum and click on van modifications, there is a more detailed explanation of what I did.
Hope this may give you more ideas as to what you want to accomplish.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

In the end, I just purchased a "Screen Kit" for an instant up canopy. $20 from Walmart-- and they had it in a matching color! It is not perfect, but works well for my needs. A full canopy is also a good option, but I did not want to travel with the frame (too much bulk). Pictures are posted in my photo gallery

Weekender-- last gallery on the second page
RobertL
Weekend Camper

Post by RobertL »

Can you tell me which product at walmart you purchased?
I have found a 10x10 screen panel there in blue.
They also sell shade panels.
Think it was easy up?
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Yes this was the 10x10 from easy up. Note, this is not perfect, but as I say, works pretty well for me. Our awnings are 12 feet along the front, so with this screen kit being only 10 feet-- along the front of the room, the seams do not line up perfectly with the support poles for the awning. That does not bother me. the awning does not extend 10 feet from the van, so the sides from this kit are actually too long, again, this works for me-- at the front there is enough left over screen to encompass the front door and roll down window. Towards the back of the van, I simply wrap it onto van body, and hold it in place with magnets.

I have purchased a 12x12 kit (comes in white) but I have yet to open it and see ho it would fit. likely better along the front, but then even more screen and fabric to deal with on the sides.

Feel free to email me with any questions,

Steve
RobertL
Weekend Camper

Post by RobertL »

Thanks.
After looking at your setup I think that if I use velcro to attach it to the awning and modify a second one to place against the van it should cover the whole deal and be pretty clean looking.
It will take a little bit of fiddling but its a lot more economical than an add a screen unit from Dometic.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Hey Robert,
Wondering how your screen room project has progressed. Any pictures?
RobertL
Weekend Camper

Post by RobertL »

No news yet as we had a bit of a scare with a fire and the rig is in the shop.
We are planning on putting it together this weekend as we are going to take a quick sanity trip out of Vegas to Valley of Fire. Hopefully we will get the fabrication done then.