Awning replacement possibilities...

Maintenance of the body of the camper
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Awning replacement possibilities...

Post by skater »

This is a message I'd posted over at the old group. I wanted to post it here so I could reference it easily...

I probably wouldn't put another of the same awning on the van. Not worth the expense, especially if I needed to have special brackets made.

For reference, this Horizon II is the current version of the awnings our B190s came with, I think.

Option 1:
A friend of mine with a vintage Airstream has an awning that folds into a small box at the top. It's basically like our awnings except that there's no crank mechanism - you roll and unroll it manually - and the horizontal arms pop in more like a normal camper awning. It's pretty easy to do - I helped him set it up and take it down in wind with no problem at all. It's pretty light and easy to manage, though you might need a stepstool to pop it into the case.

I think this is the model he has.

Basically the difference between the original awning on the B190 and this model is that this is manual opening versus a mechanism.

I don't have a picture of his awning open, but you can see it above the door in this picture:

Option 2:
Fabric and poles only (I can't find it on the Dometic website now).

For that you'd just install an awning rail (if it doesn't have one) then slide the awning into the rail when you want to use it. A friend of mine has one in her 1962 Airstream Tradewinds, and it's nice, and she puts it up and takes it down alone without a problem. She uses a couple stakes and ropes to keep the poles in position, but the cool thing is that if the wind comes along and gets too strong for it, the poles just fall over - no actual damage to the awning (well, it could tear if it hits something as it falls, but that's unlikely). The awning fabric and poles store separately in a bag, which could be a downside for us given our lack of storage space.

You can see her awning here:
(The two guys were just helping - she does it alone all the time.)

Can you tell I've been thinking about this? :) Ever since mine collapsed in the rain, it hasn't worked as well (actually it wasn't that great even before then), so the next time I have a problem with it, I'll probably dump it for one of the two above options. I think both of those options are cheaper than the Horizon II awning and at least as good, if you don't mind doing a bit more work to set it up. I haven't priced them out, but as I recall a new Horizon II would've been $750 installed (based on research, not on an actual cost estimate). I'm pretty sure the second option would be about half that.

Disclaimer - I may not have the correct pages for the three awning possibilities - they look right based on what I can tell in the pictures and descriptions, but I don't know the actual model numbers of what my friends have.
Last edited by skater on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed URLs to Dometic site and my picture
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Re: Awning replacement possibilities...

Post by silvertrooper »

We got a bagged awning at Vintage Trailer Supply. They had one that someone had returned for color in just about the size we wanted. It goes up in about five minutes and is pretty good in the wind--I end up taking it down due to noise and jerking the van around!
Attachments
b190 awning from vintagetrailersupply.com
b190 awning from vintagetrailersupply.com
F5C2A176-617E-46F1-9EFF-7B484045590F.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3958 times
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

silvertrooper wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:43 pm
We got a bagged awning at Vintage Trailer Supply. They had one that someone had returned for color in just about the size we wanted. It goes up in about five minutes and is pretty good in the wind--I end up taking it down due to noise and jerking the van around!
Nice. How do you store it?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by silvertrooper »

It has three telescoping poles that can go under the couch but they’re so compact in their sleeve that I usually just leave them tucked up against the couch on the floor. The awning folds up to be about 10-12” wide and 3-4 feet long, fairly flat, and stores under the couch.
Oldbagpipe
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Post by Oldbagpipe »

Our original awning is still going strong. However, I will probably change the fabric this winter. 32 years is probably worth the expense. Out of the way and stores itself.
Attachments
IMG_7203.jpg
IMG_7203.jpg (404.05 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
IMG_9649.jpg
IMG_9649.jpg (117.11 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
IMG_9738.jpg
IMG_9738.jpg (116.94 KiB) Viewed 2760 times