outside tire carrier

Maintenance of the body of the camper
bobbyv
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 1

outside tire carrier

Post by bobbyv »

Hello everyone, am considering installing a Surco TF-100 driverside rear door tire carrier. It fits over the hinges and then attaches on the other side with 2 bolts. I am concerned about the weight and stress on the hinges. My tires are Michelin 245/75/16 w/ factory 16" steel wheels, haven't weighed them yet but are guessing around 100#. Was wondering about other members' experience's with outside carriers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

tire rack

Post by craigmar »

Hi Bobbyv, My van is a 91 with an outside rack that attaches like the one you describe but it came standard with the vehicle. I have never had a problem other than using a little muscle to get a tire on or off (once to change a flat in the driveway).
bobbyv
Weekend Camper

Post by bobbyv »

Thanks craigmar, guess I always get a little nervous about drilling holes in door. I could really use the extra space back there so will most likely take the plunge soon. Thanks again. Happy Camping
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Mine has one from the factory as well. My only comment is that you can tell a huge difference in how the door closes when the tire is on there. Over time that extra weight is going to wear on the hinges. On the other hand mine is 20 years old and still closes fine, so...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
bobbyv
Weekend Camper

Post by bobbyv »

Thanks Skater, appreciate the heads up on the door. By the way, will the door open up as far as it would without the carrier or will it hit the tailight?
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by weekender »

93 here, with a factory outside tire carrier. All is well from my end too. Couple of things to note: if you use your rear hitch for bikes or a carrier, you will likely need to get an extender. With a carrier back there, I also have to use a "z" bar, or the carrier can drag on driveways. Lastly, I have seen, I believe somewhere on this forum, some members who have had some damage where the unit bolts to the door (opposite the hinges). My van has absolutely no indication of this, but I remember seeing pictures and discussion. I believe I read every thread on this site before I purchased my van 3 years ago!

Assuming you have a later model, with the second generation of bathroom and the interior storage of the spare tire under the bath vanity. Earlier versions, it was common to have the tire on the rear door.
bobbyv
Weekend Camper

Post by bobbyv »

Thanks for the feedback weekender, your carrier looks alot like one I found at TrucknVans accessories for $105. Appears to be heavy duty and attaches like yours. I think I could probably beef up the mount opposite the hinges with a backing plate of some sort. Anyway it looks better than most i have seen, which are very few. Still don't know how far the door will open without hitting something. Thanks again and nice job on your floor, it really looks good. Like to do mine someday, Have a good one & keep the shiney side up.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

No, mine doesn't hit anything. Actually now that you mention it I'm not sure if it swings as wide as it otherwise would - there might be a stop on it somewhere that limits its travel. It goes past 90 degrees though.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

I just recently removed the carrier from my 1993 as it needed refinishing. It was bolted on on both sides. One bolt at top hinge side going through hem flange and one at bottom hinge side going through hem flange. The inner mount had two bolts that went into the door and bolted to a formed, galvanized channel inside the door. This inner mount was very rusty(pitted) and weak so I welded a 1/8" plate over this part, as it had flexed, causing a minor depression in the door. Stripped all the paint off and had it powder coated. Went back on very nicely and is much sturdier with the plate welded on. I used stainless hardware when I reinstalled the mount.
bobbyv
Weekend Camper

Post by bobbyv »

Thanks Planck, I plan to remove the cover on my door soon and see what it looks like inside. Turned 70 in March and so far 68 days of triple digit heat makes it hard for me to do too much outside. Just don't handle the heat like I used to. Glad you mentioned the SS hardware, I hadn't thought about that. Will definitely use a back-up plate on the inner mount. How far does the door open on yours?
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

The 1993 door appears to open all the way. You can see where the tire cover has rubbed on the tail light lens at one time, but nothing serious. Our 1991 B190 had the tire mounted on the passenger side door, which prevented getting a key in the lock cylinder to unlock the rear door. A pain in the butt. I'm 68, but in northern MI, so most of the time we have pretty decent summer weather, although we did hit around 90 for 2 or 3 days several weeks ago. I can shoot some pictures of the tire rack if that would help. I assume it is the one Airstream put on it.
bobbyv
Weekend Camper

Post by bobbyv »

Thanks Planck, pics would be great when you get around to it and not too much trouble. Northern MI sounds great, wife and I talk about visiting there quite a bit. Maybe someday. Weather sounds really nice. Have a good day.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Go to this site:

http://www.trucknvans.com/Custom-Welded ... f200hd.htm

to see the carrier on my 93 B190. Not sure if it comes with the inner support channel, but a call to them should answer that.
bobbyv
Weekend Camper

Post by bobbyv »

Just got off the phone with TruckNvans and the guy said they supply large washers with the carrier. No problem, I'm sure I have a piece of scrap metal lying around somewhere I can use for backup. Looks like they haven't changed the design since they built yours. I can appreceiate a "don't fix it if it aint broke" policy. Guess I'll have my work cut out for me when the weather cools off. Thanks everyone for all the help. This is a great site with lots of helpful members. Liken my B190!
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

One more thing on the carrier. When I removed mine, there was no padding between the carrier and the door. I took an old inner tube and cut pieces to fit at the three mounting locations. Helps to prevent scratching when you mount it, and hopefully corrosion after it is mounted.